BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just recently i have noticed that when i turn my ignition on (lights still off) my headlights flash alternately (i.e. like an emergency vehicle) they either stop on their own after a few seconds or when the lights are turned on, anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
hi all, just recently i have noticed that when i turn my ignition on (lights still off) my headlights flash alternately (i.e. like an emergency vehicle) they either stop on their own after a few seconds or when the lights are turned on, anybody have any ideas?
You must have the rare "police package"!:biggrinbounce:

Best guess is your lights are self testing the ballasts. I think this is pretty normal. I know my fogs, which are upgraded and use ballasts, will do this. Not noticeable in the daytime.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

do you have aftermarket (LED) angel eyes? they're bright enough to be seen and mistaken for headlights if they just flicker and the LCM will have the cold-check, self-testing routine still programmed.

I would suggest, if it's that annoying to have the cold-check function turned off via LCM coding.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
do you have aftermarket (LED) angel eyes? they're bright enough to be seen and mistaken for headlights if they just flicker and the LCM will have the cold-check, self-testing routine still programmed.

I would suggest, if it's that annoying to have the cold-check function turned off via LCM coding.
Didn't know that could be done, thanks for sharing that info.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

This

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info, ive checked and it is the 'angel eyes' that are flashing and i have upgraded them to the led type, its not bothering me as long as i know its not leading up to a problem, you guys have put my mind at rest, thanks again, allan

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just noticed this too, and my heads are not aftermarket. However, my AE bulbs are, and they do a little flash dance as the car is started. Never would have seen it, but I was behind another car and saw the reflection.

Any idea what this accomplishes? Glad I found this thread Allan, not sure how I would have explained the question.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've just noticed this recently with my LED AE's as well. I have a fairly cheap set that I got off of eBay. They do the trick, but I will eventually upgrade to iBrights as they sometimes give me the check park lights warning and I don't like seeing it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hello....

did anyone solve this issue??? can the LCM be programmed to be turned off? cuz i have the same issues and i have the tail light led flicker as well. installed Load Resistors but did not do the job as those resistors only eliminate the error msg.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is this the issue that we're discussing in this thread? I don't think I'll go for reprogramming the LCM, it's just a little annoying. Only happens when I first start it up.

Maybe I'll just have to turn the headlights on before I start the car ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have blue LED angel eyes and my car does this too. It's the system pinging the bulbs. If you have LED license plate lights it'll do the same thing. it's every 30 seconds for my angle eyes, but when i first turn on the car it's like an emergency vehicle... plus my angle eyes are blue so it looks like a police car for a few seconds haha.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yep, it's normal. My AE's do it as well. I have LED license plate units and reverse bulbs, so the back of my car strobes even more, looks like the Polizei lol

They will also do this while driving, althought much less frequently and only one at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts