BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as if my headlights are pointing way low. The beam projection is only a few feet in front of the car. I have not manually changed anything; I am wondering if there is something wrong with the height compensator, and if so, what to look for to check it out before running it over to the dealer. Thx.
Regards,
Jerry (Mr. Magoo M5 at night......)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Re: Headlight aiming problem?

Jerry - are you sure that it's not just the way it's always been? My xenons were a colossal disappointment until I raised then via the manual adjustments for the bucket itself. I thought the same thing - I had the sensation that I could barely see ten feet in front of the car.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

BKH said:
Jerry - are you sure that it's not just the way it's always been? My xenons were a colossal disappointment until I raised then via the manual adjustments for the bucket itself. I thought the same thing - I had the sensation that I could barely see ten feet in front of the car.
No, when I first got the car, the lights were fabulous. When I added 6k bulbs, it seemed to degrade. I put the stock bulbs back in over the weekend and lo and behold, the stock lights are now lousy too (apologies to the 6k bulbs which I thought were the culprit). I still get the little movement up after a couple of seconds after turn on, so it seems like the adjuster is working. I may try the manual adjustment first. Thx for the response.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Jerry,

:haha: :haha: :haha: I have a suggestion--new glasses:haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, the '03 M3 recently had what seems to be a similar problem. Now don't laugh too mcuh when I try to describe this 'cause I'm not at home and don't have my trusty manuals, but the sensor that gives the car feedback for the headlight leveling had come unattached. I think runs to the shock tower or some other related bit (?)--I'll have to check. Anyway onece reattached, the problem was solved. Don't know if our M5's have a similar device to help level the lights or where it's located. Good luck

Anita

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Twice when I got the car back from service, the lights were way low. I know where they were from the factory, and I have twice had to adjust them 10 turns up after getting back from the dealer. This is not a small adjustment. The dealer says both times that they didn't even look at the lights, so I assume there is something going wrong in the adjusters when it is attached to the computer or something. I also think the dealers need to follow approved aiming techniques and be able to properly adjust the lights when needed during the warranty period. I don't think BMW wants the responsibility of improperly aimed headlights on all new BMWs causing an accident. This is a safety issue. There is currently no alternative that I know of. My dealer has absolutely no procedures or equipment to correct the problem of improperly aimed headlights.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Anita said:
Jerry,

:haha: :haha: :haha: I have a suggestion--new glasses:haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, the '03 M3 recently had what seems to be a similar problem. Now don't laugh too mcuh when I try to describe this 'cause I'm not at home and don't have my trusty manuals, but the sensor that gives the car feedback for the headlight leveling had come unattached. I think runs to the shock tower or some other related bit (?)--I'll have to check. Anyway onece reattached, the problem was solved. Don't know if our M5's have a similar device to help level the lights or where it's located. Good luck

Anita
It is on the passenger side attached to the sway bar end link. There is a little metal clip that snaps on the end of the sway bar and is attached to a plastic arm/link that pivots on the head light self leveler do hicky thing :1:

Check and see if they are all attached.... :cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

drallen said:
It is on the passenger side attached to the sway bar end link. There is a little metal clip that snaps on the end of the sway bar and is attached to a plastic arm/link that pivots on the head light self leveler do hicky thing :1:

Check and see if they are all attached.... :cheers:

Mark
Mark and Anita
That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. You "guys" are great!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
378 Posts
Where are the adjusters?

Does anybody have a picture of what the adjustment screws look like? Mine are too low and I'd like to raise them a little.

Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
FredW said:
Does anybody have a picture of what the adjustment screws look like? Mine are too low and I'd like to raise them a little.

Thanks.
No pics on me but you'll see them on the top of the light housing. The inside ones are for height and the outside for lateral aim.

·
Registered
378 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.