1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished posting my notes and photos from my headlight adjuster repair:

headlight adjuster repair

Baking to remove lens failed. I was able to reach one adjuster and ended up making hole with Dremel tool to reach other one. I used the aluminum replacement adjusters. Job was successful!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks! Why you didn't use the cut plastic with some sort of epoxy around the edges to fill gaps? Is duct tape enough seal against let's say high pressure car wash?
I wish the lens was removable then I could replace those old projectors with some new good stuff!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the easy adjuster to replace is the up/down one? Do we really need to replace the other one in the blind area? Isn't that for the left/right adjustment?

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the duct tape is behind the gasket in front of car with very little exposure to the elements. i figured if the duct tape on my air conditioner outside and exposed to the elements is able to withstand the environment, then the duct tape will be able to work on my headlight. i did not want to seal it permanently because i might need to get back in there one day.

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are not separate high beam/low beam adjusters. both beams reside on the same assembly.

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the truth will set you free. god put me on earth to keep uptight people in check and use duct tape on BMWs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just finished posting my notes and photos from my headlight adjuster repair:

headlight adjuster repair
Great write up! Question for you! How did you manage to get the actuator back in? I just did a FXR projector retrofit into halogen headlights (thinking I would dump the headlight level motor altogether) .. problem is when taking apart the halogen headlights the part where the actuator is (its static there) broke because the plastic is old and dried out. I was able to still secure it, but it is not good and the headlight points too low. (adjusters were fixed of course).

I tried to install the actuator from my original lights, but I can't seem to get it to fit in to the plastic adjuster tab inside the headlight. Whats the trick?

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smart fix

I think I'm worse than you...

I did this before LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRL25OucQo

Not on the M5 tho
i tell ya what, he's spot on. although i have no regrets for buying $180 of parts, spending months doing research, and spending hours doing the work, he is much smarter business man and spend $5 on those screws plus an hour doing the job. more power to him :)

·
Registered
2003 BMW M5 E39
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great write up! Question for you! How did you manage to get the actuator back in? I just did a FXR projector retrofit into halogen headlights (thinking I would dump the headlight level motor altogether) .. problem is when taking apart the halogen headlights the part where the actuator is (its static there) broke because the plastic is old and dried out. I was able to still secure it, but it is not good and the headlight points too low. (adjusters were fixed of course).

I tried to install the actuator from my original lights, but I can't seem to get it to fit in to the plastic adjuster tab inside the headlight. Whats the trick?
thank you, sir. the trick i used to get the two actuators back in much patience and beer. it is like that old game Operation where you have tweezers to place part in small hole. it buzzes and lights red when you touch the edge.

the actuator doesn't buzz and light red; however, it is non trivial working with the tight mechanical constraints even using the best of roach clips (er, sorry, i mean forceps) to hold actuator in place while slipping it into headlight chassis. one of the videos i posted worked well for one adjuster. for the other one, i gave up and succumbed to brute force with a Dremel tool to give me access to what I needed to reach. may the force be with you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think I'm worse than you...

I did this before LOL

Not on the M5 tho
Haha, that is quite ingenious, as is the original poster's tutorial. I do not really care for the self leveling. I had to do mine this weekend. Managed to do the height adjustment without removing the lens, left the horizontal one alone, will see how that holds up in the next few weeks. So, it takes a level, and seems to be holding up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts