BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone that has done it before please tell me how to remove the headlamps in a 2002 M5?

I've removed the four 8mm hex head screws that are obvious, but now it remains a mystery??

It moves, but wont come out. Please tell me I dont have to remove the bumper ???

Thanks

CHRIS

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Get some painter's tape, slide it into the gap between the headlamp and bumper. You've already undone the screws that hold it in place, now it's time to remove the assembly with a delicate yet deliberate push from the back while you pull on the front. once it breaks loose, gently wiggle the assembly out so as not to break the tab that holds the outside corner of the headlight in (its a part of the trim under the headlight). Start wiggling the headlamp from the side closest to the center of the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get some painter's tape, slide it into the gap between the headlamp and bumper. You've already undone the screws that hold it in place, now it's time to remove the assembly with a delicate yet deliberate push from the back while you pull on the front. once it breaks loose, gently wiggle the assembly out so as not to break the tab that holds the outside corner of the headlight in (its a part of the trim under the headlight). Start wiggling the headlamp from the side closest to the center of the car.
OK, thanks for that,

Right, so does the piece of trim between the headlamp and the bumper come away with the headlamp?

Thanks

CHRIS

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Right, so does the piece of trim between the headlamp and the bumper come away with the headlamp?
Yes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Light came out no problems when I knew all I had to do was push to get it to move then wiggle it free, :thumbsup:

again, thanks E55AMG2

Regards

CHRIS

·
Registered
220 Posts
OK, so after it is out is there a way to replace the front (clear) cover? Sources? Mine are all pitted and crappy looking. I would like to replace them and then cover them with Laminex or something like that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The painter's tape, is it required so the headlight does not scratch the bumper on it's way out?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
E55 is correct. On the Xenon & Xenon type Headlights (post facelift) the front Clear Plexi CANNOT be replaced. It is molded to the headlamp asembly and is permanently afixed ... Although, nothing is really permanent, you can try BUT ... I assure you that if you are able to somehow remove it ... #1.) It will NOT go back on & I do not believe that anyone makes a replacement.

If you do remove that Plexi ... Be prepared to buy a NEW headlight unit.

There have been many posts about cleaning the clear plexi covers on the Post facelift Headlights.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of 'em.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
The painter's tape, is it required so the headlight does not scratch the bumper on it's way out?
Well if you're as anal about your paint as I am, then yes. Otherwise if you're careful you should be ok. You can also use a microfiber or terry cloth towel. Just something to rest the assembly on while you disconnect everything.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
E55 is correct. On the Xenon & Xenon type Headlights (post facelift) the front Clear Plexi CANNOT be replaced. It is molded to the headlamp asembly and is permanently afixed ... Although, nothing is really permanent, you can try BUT ... I assure you that if you are able to somehow remove it ... #1.) It will NOT go back on & I do not believe that anyone makes a replacement.

If you do remove that Plexi ... Be prepared to buy a NEW headlight unit

That's not entirely correct. The plexi can be removed, with a little care and patience (and a heat gun or oven). It can also be put back together as well, but you will again need a heat gun or oven. It isnt for the faint of heart though, as it does require a little effort to get them apart. You are correct in the fact that there are no replacement lenses out there.

There have been many posts about cleaning the clear plexi covers on the Post facelift Headlights.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of 'em.
+1

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Be aware when reinstalling the headlights that you need to connect the outside trim piece near the turn signal. There is a little tab that needs to be in place before the lights are fully back in place. It should be somewhat obvious once you see it, everything pretty much goes back in reverse of removal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts