BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats it...
Enough is enough.
Thats every effin front lamp replaced in 12 months.
All the debris from the accident blackspots between Witham & Hafield Peveral
on the A12 has yet again claimed another pair of N/S dip & main driving lamps

I need to get some headlamp protectors.

Has anyone got a clue where I can get a pair.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
That's bad luck, I haven't seen any headlamp protectors for e34 headlights, and can only imagine they do not look too elegant!!! But I feel your pain....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found out about these, one piece for each side, but never did anything about them; Airplex Industries, in NZ.
Probably not strong enough for deer, but look as if they will cope with more modestly sized debris!

<TABLE class=xl2416263 style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed; WIDTH: 657pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=877 border=0 x:str><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 11.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=15><TD class=xl3516263 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" height=15>5 Series E34 1988-95 (fits both original & facelift models) P/N</TD><TD class=xl3516263 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">HG314</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"
"the unit cost per pair is US$51 CLEAR
the unit cost per pair is US$76.50 COLOURED
freight is US$93 (for 1-5 pairs) including insurance via DHL
you can provide VISA or M/Card details & address
our UK agent details as follows:
CAMELOT AUTOMOTIVE COMPONENTS LTD,<O:p</O:p
119 Liverpool Rd,
Newcastle-Under lyme, Stafford,
ST5 9ER ENGLAND,
Ph: +44-1782-663020,
Fax: +44-1782-614985"

Sam<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
farrell said:
Sam
Thankyou
Im onto the supplier now & availability / timing are being forwarded to me shortly.
No other takers ?

Farrell
----------

never had a problem with loose parts on the road here - its just flying elks and other manner of smaller furry creatures that do the damage. Oh and some Volvos - that are actually so pig ugly that they can crack the glass lenses on your headlights from fifty paces.

but other than that no real danger.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi, i've had a few cracked headlights, looked at fitting protectors but decided against them because i think that they would restrict airflow to the airflow meter. Be interested to findout if thats so.Wane

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well chaps
Ive blown out the Perpex covers as there are none in the country for the next 6weeks.
Ive found a company who produce Clear self adhesive masks for all front end lights & complete front end exposed body work.

http://www.xpeleu.com

The site is called Paintshield.

They do a kit that covers all lights at the front of our M5 's including indicators & fog lamps. The kit comes with destructions & an applicator.
Cost is £46 inc vat delivered first class.

They also do a full kit to cover the front end, mirrors & trailing edges of bumpers & wheel arches. P.0.A....
With this kit, if you were to invest in a re-paint, then this full kit would be worth every penny.

I had my Skyline covered in this stuff including the front end lighting & it was absolutley faultless.

I honestly dont know what stopped me going this route with my M5.... call it brainfade !

Even if you just get the light kit, anyone who has replaced any of the lamps on an E34 will know that it can be a real b*tch to get the grill surround off to just replace a lens. It will be worth it from that aspect alone.

I have bought two sets, one for the existing lights & one for my Umnitza Halo / gas discharge light kit when I order ours shortly ...eh Steve Mr Hertfordhsire1.

Thanks for all your help & witty remarks lads.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Farrell

You *can* replace the lenses of the lamps from the outside of the car, it's not necessary to replace the entire lamp casing (which, as you correctly comment, is a ball ache).

I know what you mean about the lenses being damaged, in 36k I had to replace six.

It's quite a quick and easy job, by using a heatgun to warm the broken glass (melting the sealant), you can just pull the glass lens from the front of the lamp.

Scrape the sealant out of the groove, then use new glass sealant to fit a new glass lens available either crystal clear (as fitted to my Xenons, I've also got a stock of four of these you can have for free if you want) or ridged like the factory items, both available on eBay...

Let me know if you want my lenses. They're quite good quality for malaysian glass!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AndyE said:
Farrell

You *can* replace the lenses of the lamps from the outside of the car, it's not necessary to replace the entire lamp casing (which, as you correctly comment, is a ball ache).

I know what you mean about the lenses being damaged, in 36k I had to replace six.

It's quite a quick and easy job, by using a heatgun to warm the broken glass (melting the sealant), you can just pull the glass lens from the front of the lamp.

Scrape the sealant out of the groove, then use new glass sealant to fit a new glass lens available either crystal clear (as fitted to my Xenons, I've also got a stock of four of these you can have for free if you want) or ridged like the factory items, both available on eBay...

Let me know if you want my lenses. They're quite good quality for malaysian glass!
Andy
Thanks for that advice.
In the same way that I completely blanked the fact that my previous car was covered in 3m film & had worked well against resisting stone damage, I also forgot it was possible to separate the lens from the front case....
(D**k head that I am)

Thankyou for that bringing that excellent option to us all.

Andy, I would like to take you up on your kind offer of those lens please.
I will PM & arrange a suitable trade or I owe you one for the future ok.

Cheers my friend

Darren

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Darren

Unfortunately I'm not back home until Saturday, but I'll bung them in the mail then. Got your address. Did I write that they're the clear-glass type lenses, not the textured ones?

Cheers!
Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts