BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEADERS SHIPPED!!!

ALAS, the headers are on the way! I cant wait!!!!
The sound, the power!!!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Re: HEADERS SHIPPED!!!

Stevus said:
ALAS, the headers are on the way! I cant wait!!!!
The sound, the power!!!
You will be very pleased!! Make sure you get the ECU remapped, or you will be running way too lean and potentially do damage if you get on it!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

Stevus said:
I am going to have POWERCHIP!!!:M5launch: :M5launch:
You will be very pleased!! :D .
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I need to get on the horn and get that software on the move!!!!!!:M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

Stevus said:
I need to get on the horn and get that software on the move!!!!!!:M5launch: :M5launch:
No rush. Cables are usually availble on a couple of days notice. You then have to read the current program from the OBDII diagnostic port and email it to PC. They usually email back the revised program within 24 hours. (If you don't have a laptop, they provide a loaner). In theory you could upload before you do the header install, but you will be running very rich. I suggest you time the cables to arrive the day after the install is supposed to be done. That will minimize the time you need the cables. Driving gently for a few days won't hurt anything. The install will take a few hours and it may be done over a couple of days, so check with your installer about timing.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts

GSFENT; Who are you talking to at PC? When I called Evosport, they told me I had to remove the ECU from my car and send it to them to be reprogrammed. They told me that the laptop/cable method was several months away. WTF???

PCUT

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

PCUT said:
GSFENT; Who are you talking to at PC? When I called Evosport, they told me I had to remove the ECU from my car and send it to them to be reprogrammed. They told me that the laptop/cable method was several months away. WTF???

PCUT
I like to start at the top, talk to Wayne. I just did the ECU reflash for headers in December. I did the original reflash about 1.5 years ago. Unless there is a problem, I can't imagine why the ECU has to be removed. If you know what you are doing, the reflash takes about 15 minutes, including time to get the laptop to the car, hook up the cables, etc. Try [email protected]. Tell Wayne hi!! PM me if you have any more questions.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts

Thanx gsfent. As usual, it's not what you know.... PCUT
gsfent said:
I like to start at the top, talk to Wayne. I just did the ECU reflash for headers in December. I did the original reflash about 1.5 years ago. Unless there is a problem, I can't imagine why the ECU has to be removed. If you know what you are doing, the reflash takes about 15 minutes, including time to get the laptop to the car, hook up the cables, etc. Try [email protected]. Tell Wayne hi!! PM me if you have any more questions.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

PCUT said:
Thanx gsfent. As usual, it's not what you know.... PCUT
I think there is just a misunderstanding with Evosport. PC has been doing the laptop/cable upgrade for at least a couple of years. If there is a problem, they suggest you send in the ECU, but so far, any problems I ever had were worked around. Instructions are very good, and there tech support is also top notch. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts

when my software for headers was done, discovery auto shipped my dme to powerchip. Timing should work out, overnight it to powerchip, a day there and overnight it back.
I really didn't get a good explaination as to why this is a better method than the serial cable method, but wayne did say the dme wasn't designed to be repeatedly reprogrammed this way (but isn't that what the dealers do with a dme update?). It also caused a delay on my car's completion, since there was a defect in the soldering, i'm guessing they solder in a new chip to the dme board.

At any rate, it seems that it can be done both ways, but the preferred way, according to powerchip, is to send them the dme.
Mike

·
Registered
451 Posts

OK, I'll call Wayne and get it from the horse's mouth. Thanx for your input- you save us newbies lots of time and agony with you knowledge and support.

PCUT

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

PCUT said:
OK, I'll call Wayne and get it from the horse's mouth. Thanx for your input- you save us newbies lots of time and agony with you knowledge and support.

PCUT
We are all glad to help, just remember to pay it forward!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

****, we had a meeting from 8:45 to 11:00 for the whole office, UPS

came with my headers at 10:53 am, so they are re-delivering tomorrow!
I wonder if I can get them to re-deliver today???

·
10,455 Posts

Stevus said:
****, we had a meeting from 8:45 to 11:00 for the whole office, UPS

came with my headers at 10:53 am, so they are re-delivering tomorrow!
I wonder if I can get them to re-deliver today???
Time to go hunt that ups guy down!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Steveus...agreed about the DME update to avoid damage but just wanted to add that you'd be OK for awhile as long as you don't do any full-throttle runs. However, to really enjoy the headers, get that update and enjoy the pedal-to-the-metal!

:cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

They just arrived moments ago! I havent opened the box yet, but that is happening in just a few moments! :M5launch: :M5launch:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts