BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a section for mods/exhausts etc...but I couldnt fine this exact thread.

I am looking at getting either a set of Agency Headers or a full cat back exhaust (many to choose from). Do you guys have any recommendations as to which would provide the best bang for the buck with regard to performance, sound etc. I eventually plan on doing both, but for now, I am getting an ECU tune, pully and either the headers or exhaust ASAP. Please adivse!! Thanks!

Also, how much labor/cost is involved with putting a set of headers on, as the engine bay looks rather tight?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also, how much labor/cost is involved with putting a set of headers on, as the engine bay looks rather tight?

Most shops charge between 10 - 12 hours labor for a header install on the E60 M5. The time can vary a little based upon the shops experience with installing the headers and which header manufacturer that you ultimately decide to go with (some are a bit more dfficult to install than other due to their design).

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Headers. Hands down.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hasan,

What do you recommend? Headers, ECU and ??? Section 3? What would be the ideal setup to make more power, but not be too loud?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
The biggest bottleneck in these cars is the X Pipe. It is very narrow where it is bolted on to the body. right after the secondary cats.

So, if you get the headers, you would need a ECU tune and a catback to support that.

If you don't want the system to be too loud, get cated headers and a street cat back (Race version of any exhaust will be extremely loud with headers and X Pipe). Evolve Automotive has come up with new headers with for these engines and I believe they shall be very good. Their headers for the E39 M5 were a huge success and were a hot fvourite. They also have a very good ECU tune for the V10.

For the cat back exhaust, I would suggest the Tubi (Normal) exhaust with X pipe. This makes a lovely F1 like sound, no drone and is not very loud.

If you don't wnat to do all of this at one time. Go for the cat back first. And when you are ready, you can get the headers and ECU tune together. You cannot seperate the headers and ECU tune.

Should you decide to get the ECU tune from Evolve, get the OBD => USB cable so that you can upload the tune yourself with a laptop. Their cable is very cheap and gives you the freedon=m over what you want to do. Also, saves you the trouble of shipping over your ECU.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
man how the heck do you guys know all this stuff?! lol im learning...i myself have some knowledge about cars however american muscle is a bit different from these cars. i love my new M5 e60! my ride is still stock but i have the magnaflow cat back coming soon along with and i know its political suicide but yes i ordered the AFE stage 2 intakes :( i havent even put them on and im already regreting it. i orderd them thinking well this should work okay but i guess many say it doesnt others say it does some say you actually lose power some say you have to adjust the ecu ect...i just dont know i guess i feel i have to just try it for myself to really know. anyways good luck and happy moding everyone!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reactions: bemone

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the headers, pulley and ECU tune. Also picked up a nice Dinan FULL exhaust for real cheap, but might only install section 3 mufflers cause it'll be pretty loud with a full exhaust and headers!! So far, I'm enjoying the headers and tune immensly!

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
I know there is a section for mods/exhausts etc...but I couldnt fine this exact thread.

I am looking at getting either a set of Agency Headers or a full cat back exhaust (many to choose from). Do you guys have any recommendations as to which would provide the best bang for the buck with regard to performance, sound etc. I eventually plan on doing both, but for now, I am getting an ECU tune, pully and either the headers or exhaust ASAP. Please adivse!! Thanks!

Im heading to AZ tomorrow if you want to meet up. Ill be in the RPi M5. PM me or NobleM400 and ill give you my cell number.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Im heading to AZ tomorrow if you want to meet up. Ill be in the RPi M5. PM me or NobleM400 and ill give you my cell number.
Jared, here's your chance to test your mods against an RPI car. I'm sure everyone's anxious to see how well the AP mods perform. Slap on the full Dinan exhaust already. :cheers:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM sent. I have AP catted headers, stock exhaust, Eurocharged Pulley, Eurocharged ECU tune (although I havent upgraded it since the headers), and RPI scoops. I'm sure the RPI car has a bit more than that...but hopefully I'll get a chance to find out ;-)

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
PM sent. I have AP catted headers, stock exhaust, Eurocharged Pulley, Eurocharged ECU tune (although I havent upgraded it since the headers), and RPI scoops. I'm sure the RPI car has a bit more than that...but hopefully I'll get a chance to find out ;-)
Like I said, slap on the Dinan exhaust. Or hey, have AP sponsor you by putting on their complete exhaust to do the runs. :hihi:

Reactions: Dylannn23

·
Company Representative for RPi
34 Posts
Eloy is on the road at the moment so he asked that I post on his behalf. Anyone in AZ interested in having some highway pulls with the RPi Stage 2 M5, he is available today and tomorrow before the SC is installed. The RPi M5 currently is at ESS US headquarters in Chandler.

ESS Tuning
1900 W Chandler Blvd.
Suite #15-242
Chandler, AZ 85224-6175

Let me know via PM and I will get in contact with Eloy. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Jaredw, you should meet up with Eloy or at least in the middle somewhere if it's too far of a drive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just spoke to him and we're trying to set up a time in a few hours. I didnt realize that ESS was in AZ...that's sweet. So AZ will get the 1st SC'ed M5 kit from ESS. I'm sure the car will be badda**!

He sounds like the real deal...so we'll see how my car fares against it. Not terribly confidence inspiring when he says, "I've never lost to a bolt on modded M5 before, ever." LOL!!! I doubt I'll be the one to hand him his 1st loss. I'm more curious about the lengths and how hard the car pulls on mine. If those video's are any indication then he should pull away like I'm in standing still, we'll see.

Anyway, we had a good conversation and I look forward to meeting up with those guys today. He mentioned with their bold on mods they are not too far off of the stroker's performance, which would be quite a feat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts