BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 03 M3 for a 03 M5 with 8K miles and it is a great car. I had ceramic coated supersprint headers installed with stock cats, and supersprint x-pipe and magnum mufflers. I immediately felt a noticiable boost in performance, with a much improved engine roar that is just right. There is no question of another 20-30 at the wheels with headers and exhaust, plus a 50 pound weight loss which is like another 5 hp. The supersprint exhaust tips look great on the back, at 90mm is what they should be from the factory.

Had the UUC evo3 shifter with DSSR installed, which in a word is awesome. The notchy feeling of the 1-2 shift is gone, no slop, and good short shifts that are positive. There is no rattles or vibrations present, and I kept my stock lighted knob. Big improvement over the piece of sh.t shifters I had in my z06 vette previously that always had a rattle or vibration. I guess you get what you pay for. It is amazing to see the crappy shifter that came out with the light wimpy selector rod. Another note is how much smoother the car is to drive with the shifter, as the revs drop less between gears due the shortened shift times. Only minimal increase in effort.

I installed the powerchip 91 software (best gas available in most of Colorado) several days after the exhaust install, and it definetely gave it a little bit more power throughout the entire range. The engine is much responsive and smoother with less popping sound from the headers , increased redline to 7250, no governor, altitude mod... Very easy to do with the laptop overnighted to your house, email the original ecu program, and installed the modified program. I will check with my tech and the local dealership to see if he can sniff it out.

Overall all the mods have dramatically improved the car with substantially improved power (i am guessing like 440-450 hp at the crank if you add them up with the weight savings), much improved sound, exhaust looks and shifting. The car now feels like a badass machine. As a side note, my friend who had a 2000 m5 couldn't believe the difference between his stock m5 and mine. It feels very similar in acceleration to my 450hp z06, even though I know it weighs 1K more in weight.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Congratulations on the new upgrades. The headers seem to be a great mod for someone looking for more power out of the M5. Interesting to hear how it compares to your Z06. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Did you buy the STerling from COs BMW???

I'd been looking at that when it was with Import Auto - they wholesaled it to Cos for $57k... by the time I found out COs had it the car had sold!

Sounds sweet-

Ard

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TCM said:
Congratulations on the new upgrades. The headers seem to be a great mod for someone looking for more power out of the M5. Interesting to hear how it compares to your Z06. Thanks for sharing.
The m5 feels every bit as powerful as my old 01 z06, which has a donaldson intake, long tube headers, and x-pipe. There is more of a difference in performance in the m5 with the mods versus the z06. I also can carry 2 kids in the m5!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ard said:
Did you buy the STerling from COs BMW???

I'd been looking at that when it was with Import Auto - they wholesaled it to Cos for $57k... by the time I found out COs had it the car had sold!

Sounds sweet-

Ard
Actually, when I found out my m3 was subject to the bearing rebuild of 15 hours of lower end, and not knowing if that would solve the problem with the m3 engines, I decided to trade to the m5. I did a nationwide search, and found the car I wanted in Dallas, and they took the trade and gave me a great deal (my 03 with 25K miles + 21K for a mint 03 m5 with under 8k with rear shades (great for kids), park distance, m-audio. Seems good so far, and I have had Winslow BMW in the springs look at it and they think it is fine.

I wanted to get a m5 2 years ago, but couldn't afford it then. I finally got the car I want.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You mentioned in your post that the Powerchip software was adjusted to your altitude in CO.
Are you sure of that?
I asked Powerchip that questions sometime ago and they said no modification of software is necessary because the ECU adjusts for elevation change.

pmarin said:
I traded my 03 M3 for a 03 M5 with 8K miles and it is a great car. I had ceramic coated supersprint headers installed with stock cats, and supersprint x-pipe and magnum mufflers. I immediately felt a noticiable boost in performance, with a much improved engine roar that is just right. There is no question of another 20-30 at the wheels with headers and exhaust, plus a 50 pound weight loss which is like another 5 hp. The supersprint exhaust tips look great on the back, at 90mm is what they should be from the factory.

Had the UUC evo3 shifter with DSSR installed, which in a word is awesome. The notchy feeling of the 1-2 shift is gone, no slop, and good short shifts that are positive. There is no rattles or vibrations present, and I kept my stock lighted knob. Big improvement over the piece of sh.t shifters I had in my z06 vette previously that always had a rattle or vibration. I guess you get what you pay for. It is amazing to see the crappy shifter that came out with the light wimpy selector rod. Another note is how much smoother the car is to drive with the shifter, as the revs drop less between gears due the shortened shift times. Only minimal increase in effort.

I installed the powerchip 91 software (best gas available in most of Colorado) several days after the exhaust install, and it definetely gave it a little bit more power throughout the entire range. The engine is much responsive and smoother with less popping sound from the headers , increased redline to 7250, no governor, altitude mod... Very easy to do with the laptop overnighted to your house, email the original ecu program, and installed the modified program. I will check with my tech and the local dealership to see if he can sniff it out.

Overall all the mods have dramatically improved the car with substantially improved power (i am guessing like 440-450 hp at the crank if you add them up with the weight savings), much improved sound, exhaust looks and shifting. The car now feels like a badass machine. As a side note, my friend who had a 2000 m5 couldn't believe the difference between his stock m5 and mine. It feels very similar in acceleration to my 450hp z06, even though I know it weighs 1K more in weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
howler said:
You mentioned in your post that the Powerchip software was adjusted to your altitude in CO.
Are you sure of that?
I asked Powerchip that questions sometime ago and they said no modification of software is necessary because the ECU adjusts for elevation change.
I am at 4600 feet, and powerchip stated they would take that into account when creating my flash program. The car sure runs smoother and more powerful with the upgrade. I drove the car for several days with the exhaust upgrade prior to doing the powerchip, and there is a noticiable difference.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
pmarin,

Sounds like you have a very nice setup. You really need to have a dyno run so the rest of us can drool over the improvements. I would not debate your 450HP at the engine, in fact I am guessing that is concervative. I have 422HP without the headers so you might be exactly right.

What do you feel are the performance differences between the M3 and the M5 are?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MAH said:
pmarin,

Sounds like you have a very nice setup. You really need to have a dyno run so the rest of us can drool over the improvements. I would not debate your 450HP at the engine, in fact I am guessing that is concervative. I have 422HP without the headers so you might be exactly right.

What do you feel are the performance differences between the M3 and the M5 are?

Thanks,

Mark
The performance stock for stock is similar at speed under 50 mph at full throttle, but the m5 engine is so much more flexible. I am used to driving powerful v8's with lots of low end torque, and the m3 doesn't have that. I also have noticed the m5 has better airflow than the m3, which you notice on mountain runs at 11K feet. The m5 just didn't seem to suffer as much, which I attribute to more air in. My m3 had the SMG II, which after 2 years of driving it, my conclusions is it can shift better than me, but the interaction and fun factor are not as much as a standard manual. Given the new m5 is smg only, with a high reving engine with lower torque similar to the m3 design, i feel the e39 v-8 might be bmw's best overall engine. I has had minimal problems compared to the grenading m3 engine. I will prefer the styling of the old m5 to the new one any day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The mods sound great. My question is how much better could you do with the Supersprint Cats and better intake system? What would a better intake system be? Thanks all.

Brian
2000 Carbon Black w/flaky ashtray
UUC short shift
trying to get my mods in priority

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BrianS said:
The mods sound great. My question is how much better could you do with the Supersprint Cats and better intake system? What would a better intake system be? Thanks all.

Brian
2000 Carbon Black w/flaky ashtray
UUC short shift
trying to get my mods in priority
I guess the AA intake sound the most logical to me with the ram air effect. I had a bottom breather vortex on my corvette, it was a proven .25 to .5 faster in the quarter mile with a clear improvement on the seat of the pants. It is tough to dyno intake performance, but it seems that the m5 intake is well designed from the factory. It was be illegal to put the supersprint cats on any car built within the last 5 years from what I understand, and for the price of them (2+grand) for about 5 or so more horses, it wasn't as cost effective as the other mods I have done. Plus the exhaust is such an enjoyable mod from a sound and visual point of view as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Beastpower has the Cat's on sale for $250 per side until the end of the year (check out the group buy section). Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Brian

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
pmarin said:
I guess the AA intake sound the most logical to me with the ram air effect. I had a bottom breather vortex on my corvette, it was a proven .25 to .5 faster in the quarter mile with a clear improvement on the seat of the pants. It is tough to dyno intake performance, but it seems that the m5 intake is well designed from the factory. It was be illegal to put the supersprint cats on any car built within the last 5 years from what I understand, and for the price of them (2+grand) for about 5 or so more horses, it wasn't as cost effective as the other mods I have done. Plus the exhaust is such an enjoyable mod from a sound and visual point of view as well.
Congrats on your car.. I think you are right about the intakes.. I recall reading that the stock airboxes flow more than enough air in... even at high speeds.. Even bigger throttle bodies, a la Dinan, have been questionable mods. Again, this is all from memory so don't quote me..

Good luck! :M5rev:

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
10,445 Posts
BrianS said:
Beastpower has the Cat's on sale for $250 per side until the end of the year (check out the group buy section). Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Brian
yeah, that's evosport as noted above, and those are NOT the supersprint cats, they're just aftermarket hi-flow units.
Mike

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BrianS said:
Quick question though. Will this setup pass smog?
The letter of the law requires factory BMW converters until your car is no longer covered under the extended factory emissions warranty, as mandated by the EPA. Under current federal OBD II regulations, the powertrain control module, diagnostic connector and catalytic converter are all covered under a federally mandated 8-year/80,000-mile emissions warranty. Once the federally-mandated free replacement warranty expires, aftermarket cat's with the proper 49 state or CARB certification stamping become legal.

O2 simulators are sure as heck not legal for street use anywhere or anytime. This is a bypass gizmo intended to fake out or otherwise defeat the ODBII self-checking features.

If your asking whether your particular car will pass emissions with these mods...hey, that's up to the state you live in and the particular mood or picky nature of your inspector. It will vary for everyone. Some states have no emissions testing whatsoever. Other states an inspector scrutinizes your cat's with a mirror to make sure they are factory original.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts