BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a "new to me" MY06 M5 and have been on this forum for some great tips, tricks, etc...

I've been searching my question for a couple of days and although I've found lots of info, none answers my question:

Q: Under what conditions do the two most inner bulbs turn on? I'm assuming that these are DRLs? Some info to help with the question...

- With light switch in the "O" position, I get no lights
- With light switch one notch to the right, I get the parking lights including my Angel Eyes. No inner bulbs
- With light switch two notch to the right, I get my xenons low beam. No inner bulbs
- With high beams on, my xenon flip to high beam. No inner bulbs
- With light switch in Automatic (one notch to the left), I get xenons low beam. No inner bulbs
- No system faults or reports telling me my bulbs are malfunctioning.

I'm glad that if these are DRLs that they have some how been programmed off, but just wondering if this is the case or something else?

Thanks in advance.
David

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need to have your headlights on and then turn the wheel. When your main headlights turn in the direction of steering, the inner headlights go on to maintain your "forward-facing" light.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to have your headlights on and then turn the wheel. When your main headlights turn in the direction of steering, the inner headlights go on to maintain your "forward-facing" light.
Wow, thanks for the fast response. I'll give this a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmm, never noticed that. Thought they were on with the main headlights all the time.

Do they turn off and on while driving (i.e. turn back off when the wheel is straight)?

MAybe that why I am getting a lot of a-hole high-beamers. I do love to hit them back with the true high beams, though.

Reminds me how when noone knew what xenon's or HID were when I first got my E39 M5 back in 2000 or 2001 I used to get beamed in that when I first bought it too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes... when the wheel is straight they are turned off... I found this out when i was in a parking lot with my e92 at night. I was parked facing a closed store. When I turned on my headlights and then turned the wheel... I noticed the reflection of the inner lights off the store window... I then straightened my wheel and they turned off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I turned on the adaptive headlights and cranked the steering wheel...The inner bulbs still don't turn on.

Besides these being DRLs, what other conditions do these lights turn on? Otherwise, it looks like the DRL feature have been disabled (which is fine by me).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With regards to DRL... you can choose to enable or disable the feature
I'm not sure if that feature is available on the 06. You guys get the goodies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay. Not in the manual...

They are pretty much useless. They are the passing lights. I just figured it out in my garage tonight.

With the lights on in Adaptive or headlight on switch position, pull the turn signal towards you and those elusive inner bulbs will turn on. Let go and they turn off. They are more yellow in color and are pretty bright.

I don't know if they automatically turn on and off if you have that HBA option, but it would be nice.

Now if I could just figure out how to make them come on when the outer lights are on they would be more useful than being a decoration 99.999% of the time.:eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... They are the passing lights...

Bingo! :thumbsup: That worked. By pulling the stalk towards you, it activates the inner bulbs regardless of the position of the light switch (i.e., on, auto, parking)

Thanks for the solution!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine dont work when you turn the wheel. I think they are only used to flash others.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine dont work when you turn the wheel. I think they are only used to flash others.
I had only one come on as I was backing out - Go figure, those crazy adaptive headlights. I think maybe it is trying to light up the corner in which the front end was swinging. My DRLs are just all four halos. I like it! Much better then the inner bulbs on the old E39.

Also, seen both on one day as I was pulling in (reflection in glass).

Another time I had my wife watch to see e light was coming fand she said those stayed off. People seem to bright me and maybe even after coming around a sweeper, thinking back.

So maybe you have to be rolling. I think this one is truly a mystery. Sure they are doing what I have paid for them to do, though.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but damn I just noticed this inner light
thing today while driving home. Someone flashed me and it got me
thinking there may be something wrong with my car. Sure enough
when I got home I checked the lights and the inner ones were not on.

Started flipping switches everywhere and still couldn't figure it out.
I'm glad I found this thread otherwise it would've drove me crazy
tonight. ouich:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Inneers are halogen. Flash to pass and DRL for pre-LCI cars. The reason why they are halogen is because Xenons take time to charge up and become bright. Notice how when the car first turns on with lights (when they are cold), it takes the Xenons a couple of seconds to reach its full operating brightness. Halogens are instantaneous and is needed for "flash to pass" situations that cannot afford those 2 seconds. Flash to pass is used much more in Europe than in the States. Watch the movie "Ronin," though I think the director overdid it a little with the flash-to-pass thing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but damn I just noticed this inner light
thing today while driving home. Someone flashed me and it got me
thinking there may be something wrong with my car. Sure enough
when I got home I checked the lights and the inner ones were not on.

Started flipping switches everywhere and still couldn't figure it out.
I'm glad I found this thread otherwise it would've drove me crazy
tonight. ouich:M5thumbs:
HaHa, I still haven't figured out when they come on or not with the 2008 M5. Mine does not come on as flash to pass or DRL. I think it makes sense that they come on to provide forward light when the Xenon's are lighting up the corners during a turn, etc. As stated earlier, only one came on as I was backing out (the one on the side that the front end would be swinging as you back up and turn).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Flash to pass is used much more in Europe than in the States. Watch the movie "Ronin," though I think the director overdid it a little with the flash-to-pass thing.
It is illegal to use "flash to pass" in the EU.

In Germany you can not even use your blinker.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
HaHa, I still haven't figured out when they come on or not with the 2008 M5. Mine does not come on as flash to pass or DRL. I think it makes sense that they come on to provide forward light when the Xenon's are lighting up the corners during a turn, etc. As stated earlier, only one came on as I was backing out (the one on the side that the front end would be swinging as you back up and turn).
They come on right side when you turn right and left when you turn left, HOWEVER only for an brief amount of time, like 3 seconds. I don’t know why.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts