BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am planning on changing out my head gaskets due to the amount of white smoke coming from my exhaust. I was wondering if anyone knows what all I would need to change out both. I have the gaskets coming and a set of gaskets/seals for valve covers and whatnot. If there is anything else that I would need please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
You do not need to replace both gaskets.

However, you should get the head checked because sometimes it can warped and might require a bit of grinding. In addition, it would be a good idea to get the head polished as well.

If the head cannot be repaired you might need to find a used head.

If the head requires a lot of skimming you will need to use a couple of gaskets to fix the compression.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would be highly surprised if the head can be skimmed. Generally if it is warped it needs to be replaced, not skimmed.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I would be highly surprised if the head can be skimmed. Generally if it is warped it needs to be replaced, not skimmed.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can surface both the head and block deck within reason. Have done this a couple of times now, you just need to take into account changes in cc's of the CC as well as rod length and PTV clearance.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You do not need to replace both gaskets.

However, you should get the head checked because sometimes it can warped and might require a bit of grinding. In addition, it would be a good idea to get the head polished as well.

If the head cannot be repaired you might need to find a used head.

If the head requires a lot of skimming you will need to use a couple of gaskets to fix the compression.
You seem to imply more compression is a bad thing ;) :grin

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've never heard of an S85 with a blown head gasket - aren't they all metal?
MLS, but yes. Would literally be the first blown gasket I've heard of. Are you losing coolant? How many miles on the engine? Oil Consumption? Tuned?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MLS, but yes. Would literally be the first blown gasket I've heard of. Are you losing coolant? How many miles on the engine? Oil Consumption? Tuned?
Coolant is fine, 132k, normal oil consumotion (about half a quart/mo), fully stock

·
Registered
103 Posts
If u don't have bubbles in the expansion tank, and your coolant looks like it should be looking (dark blue or blue if aftermarket then green) and you don't have milkshake - your head gasket is fine.
What you are experiencing is probably piston rings are worn or you have scratches on cylinder walls, or valve seals (which i don't think).
My bet is scratches on the cylinder walls and worn piston rings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Bucky
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing