BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Shift knob peeling, got it replaced
ashtray scratched, need to get it fixed

I got a reply from BMWNA. A lady by the name of janice called and said she would forward the message onto the marketing department who 'should' call me. She also said this is the first she heard of the problem.
Anyway, maybe one point of contact would be good for all of us, so even though I didnt ask her if I can give her number out, here is her contact info:

Janice
Customer Care BMWNA
(800)831-1117 Ext. 772

Maybe if everybody tells her about their pealing interiors it would be a good point of contact. We could tell her we would like one point of contact with her so that our problem could be taken more seriously. I would suggest that you have your VIN# with you when you call her. If somebody could call her monday (EST) and give us some feedback on what she feels about taking care of our issues i think that may be helpful. Just tell her that you were told of her by somebody else who also had this peeling problem. Just my 2 cents.

fas

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the shift knob replaced and it now needs to be replace again. There is also a scratch on the area right next to the ashtray.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't know if we will get any help with scratches on the dash and center console, it is probably our own problem. There is no quality issue there, just a fragile material which we must treat carefully. I do think they should do something about the peeling though. I am about to go onto my second brakehandle and am already on the third shift knob. No resistence getting them switched but christ on the cross, I don't see why I should have to go to the dealer once a month to get these things switched, if they have it in stock. If it isn't it usually takes Germany a couple weeks to get one over here. I know you just wanted a head count, but that is what I think about the whole scenario.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Your thoughts are welcome too. Be aware that I have informed Janice about the existance of this board (she only knew about .org) and she will be passing the info along to her superiors. They have to know how you feel about what's happening with your vehicle in order to prevent it from happening again.
Mark

·
Registered
305 Posts
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
Need a head count of those of you with the peeling interior problem.

Mark
My shift knob is also peeling (2000M5). Hope to have it replaced next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had my gear shift knob and hand brake lever replaced because of the peeling. The new ones seem to have a different finish than the previous ones. Wondering if BMW has recognized the problem and has come out with a new finish on its trim parts?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
got another reply from BMWNA:

I'm with BMW of North America, Inc. I am sorry to read of your concern with
the interior aluminum panels in your M5.
We'd like to investigate and assist. Would you kindly write me at this
e-mail address the name of your BMW servicing center and your car's VIN.
I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for contacting BMW
Emily Hamilton

just wanted to give you the update
fas

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had the flaking shift knob since the second month I've had the car. Haven't bothered changing it yet, but soon.

P.S. I drive with leather gloves?! How the hell did this happen?

Vapour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm getting several things looked at again next week. Shifter,e-brake, ashtray, doorhandles, OBC panel. God, I hope they've got a permanent fix. This is getting time consuming.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have replaced the brake cover(six week wait)I am replacing the gear shift knob. I have not encountered problems with the other trim pieces, but if they are of the same material, it is only a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts