BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time the car was driven was Thanksgiving. This morning when i went to start the car, The engine would make a loud clicking noise (similar to the noise im used to hearing with a dead battery) and the electronics would cut on every click, i.e the gauge cluster would reset along with the navigation screen. I also noticed the car moved with this clinking noise almost as if the engine is half cranking. This leads me to believe There is not enough juice in the battery. I hooked up my jumper box to the positive and negatives under the hood but it didnt seem to make any difference. Also when I try to start the engine and the clinking noise starts the fan moves slightly. When the car was last used it started and drove without issue. If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it!

-Tim

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Last time the car was driven was Thanksgiving. This morning when i went to start the car, The engine would make a loud clicking noise (similar to the noise im used to hearing with a dead battery) and the electronics would cut on every click, i.e the gauge cluster would reset along with the navigation screen. I also noticed the car moved with this clinking noise almost as if the engine is half cranking. This leads me to believe There is not enough juice in the battery. I hooked up my jumper box to the positive and negatives under the hood but it didnt seem to make any difference. Also when I try to start the engine and the clinking noise starts the fan moves slightly. When the car was last used it started and drove without issue. If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it!

-Tim
Just from reading other/older threads I would say you have a draining battery (probably FSU issue) and 2ndly that you might not have properly "jumped" the car. I would say try again to jump the car and report back. There is only a """+""" terminal under the hood, the negative is a ground anywhere on the frame.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
when you say the car moves...do you mean that the car actually moves as if power was being transfered to the ground?

if that's the case, is it in gear? if you've pressed the clutch pedal and it's in gear and it's trying to move, you've got a bad slave cylinder and weak battery.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Looks to be a classic low battery. Some jumper boxes can lose its power if not regularly maintained. Did you try jumping from another running engine? And the above post is correct, negative should go to the car body (e.g. strut tower bolt). If you plan to let the beast nap for so long, perhaps a battery tender is in order?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts