BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the time I spend wasting on bring a trailer, ebay, etc. I’m having a hard time putting miles on my 01 LB M5... I’m at 77k and the car is mint. Do you think I’m in that high value zone or should I just put another 15k on the car and enjoy it?
I’ve owned the car for 17 years and only put around 50k on it... I told myself I would never sell it, just use it as my coffin BUT the car is getting close in value to what I paid for it 17 years ago. any thoughts? Happy 4th

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is 100% an emotional decision. Unless you need the money or feel ready to move on to a different car, I'd keep it and enjoy it. It doesn't sound like the rising values alone are enough to sway your decision in favor of selling.

Ultimately, trust your gut feeling and go with it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi,

As per above! it's something only you can decide. Some people will say keep it, other's will say sell it.

If you fancy a different car, want close to what you paid for it when you purchased it, choose another car to drive and keep giving taking this out for a spin etc, consider changing it if you have other cars you'd like to own.

If you still love driving it, can get another fun car with your wallet depth, fancy making some modest/good improvements to this one etc, then consider keeping it.

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
46 Posts
The M5 is excellent at being a mostly reliable comfortable daily driver that you can put a lot of miles on and still have fun with. There are a lot of cars that I’d rather drive as a secondary fun car. Personally I bought a low mile 01 last year with the intent to daily drive it until it falls apart and ignore the value. I love it for that purpose but there are more exciting cars out there in the same price range for a weekend vehicle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll cast a vote to keep from perhaps a different viewpoint than usual. I assume since you bought/have used the car for 17 years then you very much LIKE what it is, as in a RWD V8 full sized sedan with a six speed manual. Assuming that's true, here's the scary fact that I cast my keep vote upon: Such a car DOES NOT EXIST anymore in today's new car market, nor will it ever again, I fear. Manuals are dying. Naturally aspirated V8s are in decline. Electric cars are proliferating. So if you sell it and later regret not having such a car, the options will only get more and more limited from here on out. For this same reason, I also expect values to continue to rise. If it's only a few of those aspects that you value in a car then your options increase greatly, but that alchemical combination is rare enough to consider this. Similar reasons that I'll keep my 2002 forever: that greenhouse with visibility effectively as good as a convertible, the best heel'n'toe pedal setup ever to come to market, and an engine bay designed to allow repair access apparently climaxed 50 years ago and has never been equaled since. . . :/

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Definite personal decision.

Love the car? Don't need the $$$? Enough Garage space?..Then keep it. Let it be the Cars n Coffee car.

Fallen out of love for something else? Or could use the $$$? BAT it is.

It's pretty much on the precipice of cream puff. 77k is no mint bar, but still life left to be a nice weekend head turner. But not DD worthy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Similar boat here.

’03 with 63k on the clock. I think we’ve both obviously missed the collector mileage status, but these cars are seemingly bringing stronger and stronger money. And yea I also figure with each trip and drive I’m essentially losing money. Par for the course however, and when I think people are spending $65k plus on new pickups, it makes me chuckle at depreciation on the M5.

As a second/third car for me, I’m just not sure if it provides the excitement I’m looking for in the “fun” car category anymore. Don’t get me wrong I totally understand it’s place in the automotive world and the RWD Manual V8 is most certainly a thing of the past. I’d probably get another Carrera or finally give the GT350 a try. I might just be a little bored with it. But replacing these is only going to become more difficult.

I would keep driving your 02 and enjoy it. Lets say it’s worth somewhere in the 30s at the moment.
With 100k miles it’ll still be worth 20s. Can’t imagine 10k would be worth more than your enjoyment factor, especially over many years.

We should both do ourselves a favor and keep em!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well do you want something else or need the money?
Since you owned the car for so long if you still like it I would just enjoy it. I don't think it's going to be easier to find the right M5 if you wanna get back to it because you know everything that's going on with yours. I think the e39 M5 are slowly starting to get more difficult to come by. I thought I was going to keep mine forever, till it got destroyed by a drunk driver.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ditto what everyone has advised.....it is a very personal decision. I sold mine after 4 years of ownership & moved into a 996TT. Yet here I am, still visiting M5 board & tracking all BAT E39 listings. If I had unlimited garage space I would have another E39 M5 right now. But life is all about compromises.

If I could do it over I wouldn't have bought the one I bought ('00 Royal Red.....wife/kids HATED the color and reminded me of it regularly). Then put almost $15k into making it perfect. Never got that $15k back (well got some of it back after 4 years/20k+ more miles). It depends what you want it for.....DD, I would buy a high mile, well maintained as they are pretty bullet-proof to a certain extent, in the color combo you want. Investment......those are becoming hard to find, and BAT isn't making it any easier. But we are heading into 3-8 years of a SLOW recovery from C19 recession.....there will be deals to be had. Interestingly, unlike Porsche from same era, most E39s were driven....

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I sold my 2001 LMB M5 two years ago last month on BaT after 15 years of ownership ($34k/$35.7k). The point I reached was that over all those years I had done everything I ever wanted to do with the M5 and then some. I bought an E90 M3 6MT slicktop back in 2012, and I tended to always take that car if I was headed out for a weekend fun drive or a driving event. Hence the M5 just hung out in the garage a lot after 2012. Mine had 66k miles at the time, but had been garaged 24/7 since new, never on winter roads and only caught out in rain a few times.

My "problem" with the M5 was that I over-maintained it with a passion, lol. If I still had it, I'd probably be spending $ on it that it didn't need and not driving it much. The car was truly immaculate inside, outside, and underneath. Prior to making the decision to sell it, I went through it and freshened up a lot of things that weren't needed, but it was all easy to do with a friend with a lift and buddies ready to help (i.e. new clutch, 4 rear suspension arms, front thrust arms, coolant tank, fuel filter, air filters, oil change, new brake pads/rotors/fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid, new set of PS4S tires, etc.) After all that effort, the call of BaT rang after my friend with the lift sold his similar mileage 2001 LMB for $40k there. Also, I wasn't ever going to put the M5 out of the garage, and we needed the spot potentially for a new car for which we had a build allocation.

No regrets yet, but such a great car, incredible years of memories and friends met, events attended, etc. FWIW, the guy who bought my M5 was transferred a year later and needed to sell it since moving into a city without as much parking, so he sold it on BaT last summer where it sold for almost $2k more than before and is now in very strong hands of a car industry veteran.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you don't need the money, have the space, time, and money to keep it in its current condition, and still enjoy driving it, keep the car. It is an icon of a forgotten era for BMW where "The Ultimate Driving Machine" still meant something.

The car is now two decades old from when it was first introduced. I still get compliments on it. There are not many cars that still get that type of attention given its age.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So with all the time I spend wasting on bring a trailer, ebay, etc. I’m having a hard time putting miles on my 01 LB M5... I’m at 77k and the car is mint. Do you think I’m in that high value zone or should I just put another 15k on the car and enjoy it?
I’ve owned the car for 17 years and only put around 50k on it... I told myself I would never sell it, just use it as my coffin BUT the car is getting close in value to what I paid for it 17 years ago. any thoughts? Happy 4th
So you put on ~3k a year and in 5 years it will have ~92k and be worth what it is now or a little more. You may need to put a few bucks in, pay duplicate insurance and so on which often negates any "money made" but it will not depreciate like a new car. Go beat the snot out of it for another 5 years (I hope you live longer and don't need it as a casket in 2025) and drive it like they were meant to be. They are not that rare and can be fixed. You on the other hand; after 17 years of this may be stuck:)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Sorry to be late to the party on this one - I am still on the forum but don't check the E39 page very often.

I had 2 E39 M5's as daily drivers - really enjoyed both cars. First one was a 2000 carbon black that I owned as a CPO for 2 years. Second one was Imola Red 2003 that I picked up with 47K on it and drove it for 6 years, sold with 107K so I logged 10K per year. What's interesting is I only lost about $6K in value over that 6 years - I did some maintenance, but the car needed a suspension refresh when I sold it. I sold it because I was in a phase of taking a lot of weekend road trips ~300 miles each way and wanted a larger Q-ship type of car for that. So I tried a Panamera S under CPO for 2 years and really enjoyed that ownership but was ready to move on after 2 years. The Panamera lacked the engagement of the M5, but was just a fantastic road trip car. My daughter moved back to our city around the time I sold it, which eliminated our frequent long weekend road trip need. But I still wanted a 4 door sedan, so I ended up buying a E60 M5 with a manual 6 speed, which is a rare variant. Now we know nobody will ever be making a V10 NA sedan again - let alone one with an old school manual trans. Lots of haters out there for this version of the car, but I think it suits it very well. The car is very similar to the E39 in driving feel - just more precise steering with nicer feel, almost identical transmission and clutch operation, similar size and cabin layout etc. - very similar experience until you wind the motor out past 6K and realize you have another 2K RPM and 100HP available!

It's a unique car without a doubt. And one I hope to hang onto for awhile. But as a 2nd or 3rd car I guess it really depends what else you have and what else you need. If I had another more regular 4 door sedan, I would tend to feel the M5 was redundant and probably think about replacing it with a sports car of some sort. But my other car is a 2016 Camaro SS convertible - and that one is my go to car for the most part, unless I am just running boring errands or need to haul something and will take my truck instead. So the M5 rounds out the stable nicely. I didn't buy it as a daily driver, but it could be one if needed. I have a buddy with one just like mine - 2008 6MT and he has 125K miles on it now - it's his only car. Mine has 66K and I will likely only put on 4K a year.

So really depends what else you have and how you end up using it. As a pure weekend toy, it's not as special as a sports car. But I have my Camaro to keep that itch scratched and I take the M5 when I want to blend in and be more normal or civilized or for a longer trip when the weather is too hot or too cold for top down driving. It's a really good balance of cars in my case. And I don't mind having it around as garage art most of the time. I enjoy driving it very much whenever I do get it out. And I drive it enough to keep things working well. But I am not piling miles up on it like crazy either. So for me this works well.

Keep us posted on your decision either way !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts