BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some handy people on here, but just out of curiosity, whom here has rebuild their own S85 engine? With the rob bearing issue, I know myself I'd rather just do a rebuild in my garage at the same time. Not only would it provide ample cost savings, but i'm a nit-pick for details and know no one else would take care of it like I could.

Anyone else with me? Done the rebuild yourself? Just our of curiosity what did you spend ball park if you don't mind.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Rod bearings are more or less a "bolt in" deal. A full motor rebuild for an S85 is definitely more invoked. Definitely not impossible cause a motor is a motor in the end, but definitely not something relatively simple like rod bearings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm more anal about these things than others. If i was putting in rod bearings I'd just want to do anything while I had it out and available. But I'm not necessarily right in the head.

T

·
0 Posts
Swapping out rod bearings will cost you around $850 for all the parts from rod bearings to bolts to vanos pump chain tensioners to oil pan gasket. This is a very simple task.

Trying to rebuild an S85, requires cylinder honing by a machine because the cylinders taper like hell at around 60k (not honing by hand).

New vanos pump, oil pump, vanos units on cylidners, cam caps, head gaskets, main bearings, front/rear seal, etc.

All said and done, the typical rebuild costs me $6,000 to have this done in parts and machining. This is aside from having purchased $1500 in BMW oem tools for timing and checking tolerances, etc. I sell the rebuilt motors with 0-miles on them for $10,000 to a customer.

The used motors we sell are from $6000 to $9000 depending on year and mileage. That is the reason 99% of the people who buy motor from us just want a used motor with new bearings & vanos line service that we offer for free with the purchase of a motor. We also warranty them for 2-years or 30k miles.

Rebuilding an S85 "correctly" will run you around $6000, and that is a spun-bearing motor. If the injector locked up, you are back another $2500 for sleeves in the block.

If you just throw it together and go the cheap route and try to flush the metal out of everything, it will probably get your cost down to around $2500 in parts. However, getting that motor to stay out of limp mode will be next to impossible. The motor is too smart and it knows if the motor had metal in the vanos units, solenoids, etc and it will stay in limp mode until you change those parts.

This is a $52000 motor for a reason and people don't rebuild them correctly for a reason, because the parts are too much money. This is no Chevy 350. ;-P

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome reply Troy. Thanks for the break down and information. Good to see a fellow Michiganer on here. I'm actually in the process of moving back to the West Michigan area. So it looks like I might have found a local resource when I do pull the trigger on an E60. Darn it! LOL!

If you don't mind I'd love to pick your brain sometime. It's always nice to have a local resource.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
975 Posts
so are you guys saying an amateur can do a rod bearing change?? I do the basics now on my beast such as: oil, spark plugs, water pump, pulleys etc….I'm wondering if I could conquer the bearing job myself….

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I wish I could do rod bearings but I just don't have all the tools, space nor time ??????

Now building your own engine .....that is something I left to a builder who has experience, tools, space and time ;)
The tolerances on these engines are not like my little Japanese engine I once built.

T

·
0 Posts
so are you guys saying an amateur can do a rod bearing change?? I do the basics now on my beast such as: oil, spark plugs, water pump, pulleys etc….I'm wondering if I could conquer the bearing job myself….
I never said an amateur could do it.. I am just saying it is easy. But at the same time, this is coming from someone who has sold 79 S85 in the past 12-months. :M5launch:

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I never said an amateur could do it.. I am just saying it is easy. But at the same time, this is coming from someone who has sold 79 S85 in the past 12-months. :M5launch:
I would not call you a builder but more of a dismantler.......I am good at breaking things up too even when I don't plan to ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Damn Troy, Thats almost $80k in S85 Engines alone!

Nice:cheers:

T

·
0 Posts
Can you leave the engine in the car and do the rod bearing replacement "fairly easily" ?

I think it is far easier to do this outside the car. I know Jim made a long post on doing this in the car, but that would be a bear to lay on your back for hours and hours while reaching upwards into an engine. :-/

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Math is off a bit. I think it is a little over $500k worth if you figure an average of $7 per motor.

Troy I will take a spare motor for $7 :) actually maybe a few at that price :grinyes:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
ive done many rod bearing jobs on s62 and s85 its time consuming

·
Registered
549 Posts
i did over 30 bearing rod replacements on these engines with my friend of the m gmbh ;) And a some more rebuilds ;))
You can leave the engine in when you replace the rod bearings, i can do the job with my friend in 6-7 hours ..
My Customers bring the car in the morning at 07:00 and can come at 17:00 and drive home with the car.
When people write you should take off the engine , they dont know much or they would like to take your money ;)))
i think when i post all my pictures we are on page 20 :p haha , here some of it.

here you can do a nice work :

when i rebuild an engine i take it out . (when engine crashed with rods or something else)

here the engine must go out hahaha ;)

here we do an s65 engine works also without problems enough enough space !!!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
When I fully rebuild an S85 with perfect bores and crank,I end up with the following minimum:

3k€ for Vanos pump,lines,solenoids,crank sprocket,..
2.5k€ for gaskets,bolts,bearings,chains,chain guides,chain tensioners,water pump,t-stat,...
1k€ for rebuilding the heads(machining the seats,skimming,valve guides and seals),more if new valve springs included
is already 6.5k€ for that alone(including balancing crank,rods,pistons)

Plus labor for disassembling,cleaning,assembling..

Only real special tool out of the regular engine building tools is the quite expensive cam shaft alignment tool.

That being said,it is nice to build/rebuild the S85 as it is overall a quite easy engine to work with(if you are a professional).

T

·
0 Posts
When I fully rebuild an S85 with perfect bores and crank,I end up with the following minimum:

3k€ for Vanos pump,lines,solenoids,crank sprocket,..
2.5k€ for gaskets,bolts,bearings,chains,chain guides,chain tensioners,water pump,t-stat,...
1k€ for rebuilding the heads(machining the seats,skimming,valve guides and seals),more if new valve springs included
is already 6.5k€ for that alone(including balancing crank,rods,pistons)

Plus labor for disassembling,cleaning,assembling..

Only real special tool out of the regular engine building tools is the quite expensive cam shaft alignment tool.

That being said,it is nice to build/rebuild the S85 as it is overall a quite easy engine to work with(if you are a professional).
I agree. This is exactly why most people prefer to purchase a used 08+ motor with new bearings & vanos line from me, as opposed to spending the money for a rebuild that this uses the high-mileage vanos gears, pistons, etc..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
Michael Harris
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing