BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can you see oil leak around 2 front bolts in valve cover ? Same on each bank, oil doesnt appear to be over anything around, just tiny puddle around the bolt head recess. Should i remove valve covers and re-gasket? cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I had valve cover gaskets replaced under OE warranty...and they reused the bolt grommets....a no-no...and they leaked and led to exactly what you pictured.

Were yours ever done??

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vantaam, ard, E55AMG2, and chowdah

hey thanks guys, looks like item 13 on realoem.com under "cyl head cover", should i leave this till i do spark plugs? only had car 6 wks so not sure whats been done-service records only show basic stuff done.
thanks again for replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
vantaam, ard, E55AMG2, and chowdah

hey thanks guys, looks like item 13 on realoem.com under "cyl head cover", should i leave this till i do spark plugs? only had car 6 wks so not sure whats been done-service records only show basic stuff done.
thanks again for replies.
There are two sizes of washers, i bought numbers 13+14. No need to do them all at once,just change them when they weep oil.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
yep, mine was doing the same thing when i got it. no leaks anywhere else just around the front 3 bolts. replaced the rubbers on each side and no more leak. remove one bolt, replace the seal, then reinstall and do the next one. i wouldn't remove all three at once. as said the seals are tough to get over the bolt without tearing so use care. what i did was pop each one in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up and make them more pliable. just maybe 5sec or so, dont overcook! lol :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts