BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With September production for the USA looming, have any of you got the call to order?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
my dealer says production is october so supposedly end of july we should start getting calls...

alex
few cars

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
First on the list at my dealer - they hope ordering begins in the next month or two for a November delivery. However, they are very good about telling me that nothing has been verified by BMW. Unfortunately, they will not know for sure until an official announcement is made. Anything else is guesswork.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from dealer and "production has been delayed until November."

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
M! said:
there was never a 'september production' (2005) for the US.
True. However, it was expected and announced to be fall 2005 by BMW. To most, the start of the 2006 model year, which normally would be production in September, 2005 would have been expected. There are not that many months after September that could count as "fall." It remains that the car will be available to the US when BMW decides. Here is the quote:

"The new product introductions will continue this fall, with the new 2006 M5...."http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/buzz/news.htm?article=194

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Just got back from dealer and "production has been delayed until November."
My sales rep just got back from an event that he was awarded for his performance. This was in S. Cal about 2-3 weeks ago. The head of BMW M was there and told him that there will be a Sept production - Oct deliveries to the East Coast. So either something's changed since then and we're SOL for our cars being delivered in '05 or the real story is different. I was hoping to do some driving out East before I have to put the beast on a truck out Ca.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Barry said:
My sales rep just got back from an event that he was awarded for his performance. This was in S. Cal about 2-3 weeks ago. The head of BMW M was there and told him that there will be a Sept production - Oct deliveries to the East Coast. So either something's changed since then and we're SOL for our cars being delivered in '05 or the real story is different. I was hoping to do some driving out East before I have to put the beast on a truck out Ca.
Sorry, but even the best sales rep in the USA is at the absolute bottom of the food chain in terms of knowing about new releases. This 'M guy' probably doesn't know either. I'll bet even BMW doesn't know for sure yet when the first cars will be delivered.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im #1 on my New Jersey dealer's list. Got a call 2 days ago letting me know that they expect m5 to show on August's allocation sheet-- wasn't on July's.

I was told September production and November delivery

They belive I will be ordering in the next 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wolverine said:
Sorry, but even the best sales rep in the USA is at the absolute bottom of the food chain in terms of knowing about new releases. This 'M guy' probably doesn't know either. I'll bet even BMW doesn't know for sure yet when the first cars will be delivered.
No applologies needed. This guy, a fellow car enthusiast like us, got to speak to someone significant and gave him the Sept production info.( I can get his name if anyone's interested - and should be a person who would know. This is also consistant with a post Gustav made a month or so ago) Doesn't really matter what we think now as time will tell. Bottom line, unless there are unexpected problems, I find it hard to believe that in mid July '05, nobody knows when a car that most certainly will be a MY'06 will be produced (ie surely with in the next 6 months).

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Barry said:
No applologies needed. This guy, a fellow car enthusiast like us, got to speak to someone significant and gave him the Sept production info.( I can get his name if anyone's interested - and should be a person who would know. This is also consistant with a post Gustav made a month or so ago) Doesn't really matter what we think now as time will tell. Bottom line, unless there are unexpected problems, I find it hard to believe that in mid July '05, nobody knows when a car that most certainly will be a MY'06 will be produced (ie surely with in the next 6 months).
I've overseen hundreds of new product introductions over the last 20 years or so, and I can tell you until the official announcement is made, nothing is for sure. Even then, as we know, there could be delays. There are probably all sorts of internal arguments at BMW over what milestones they need to meet before they'll announce release in the US, and I'll bet they haven't hit those milestones yet. Until they do, they won't know for sure when they'll begin delivering cars. I would guess the plan right now is to start production in September/November, but they don't have enough confidence to tell us that officially.

There is always a plan, andthere are always problems that could cause delays. My point is BMW is not quite out of the woods yet, and until they believe they are, there are no 'official' dates.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wolverine said:
I've overseen hundreds of new product introductions over the last 20 years or so, and I can tell you until the official announcement is made, nothing is for sure. Even then, as we know, there could be delays. There are probably all sorts of internal arguments at BMW over what milestones they need to meet before they'll announce release in the US, and I'll bet they haven't hit those milestones yet. Until they do, they won't know for sure when they'll begin delivering cars. I would guess the plan right now is to start production in September/November, but they don't have enough confidence to tell us that officially.

There is always a plan, andthere are always problems that could cause delays. My point is BMW is not quite out of the woods yet, and until they believe they are, there are no 'official' dates.
Yeah, it's very frustrating waiting and waiting. Especially since they announced this car so long ago relative to when we're actually going get our hands on them in the US. I can understand a planned roll out say 1 yr after the Europe etc, kind of like with the E39. I think the first '00's were delivered in Jan '00 (I got mine in March). So if that means anything, our "speculation" may not be too off??

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Barry said:
Yeah, it's very frustrating waiting and waiting. Especially since they announced this car so long ago relative to when we're actually going get our hands on them in the US. I can understand a planned roll out say 1 yr after the Europe etc, kind of like with the E39. I think the first '00's were delivered in Jan '00 (I got mine in March). So if that means anything, our "speculation" may not be too off??
If I had to guess, I'd say the first deliveries won't be until late October/early November. And those will be to the large dealerships. My spot is with a small dealership, so I won't be surprised if I don't see a car until December.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am #1 at a large dealership and they say January, but I'm hoping for Dec because I think they are likely being conservative.

I got my 2000 M5 in Dec, but I was not quite #1 then.

Tom

·
Registered
227 Posts
so we Canadians are getting the M5 before the US? With Sep production, dealer said we're gonna get them at 'round Oct, but I think its more like Nov.
I should be getting the frist car from my dealer, hope they're corrent on Oct delivery. I can't wait 4months, its killing me already.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What we do know is that Canadian production is scheduled to begin in September. The "first in line" Canadians were asked to give dealers their specifications at the end of June. What is still not clear is whether U.S. production is scheduled to begin in September as well. The more time goes by without our U.S. "first in line" friends being asked by their dealers for specifications, the less likely it is that U.S. production will begin in September.:sad1:

By the way, September production usually means delivery by the end of October. Dealers will usually try hard to deliver by the end of the month after production so that the sale is reflected in those all-important month-end sales figures as soon as possible.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Spiroman said:
What we do know is that Canadian production is scheduled to begin in September. The "first in line" Canadians were asked to give dealers their specifications at the end of June. What is still not clear is whether U.S. production is scheduled to begin in September as well. The more time goes by without our U.S. "first in line" friends being asked by their dealers for specifications, the less likely it is that U.S. production will begin in September.:sad1:

By the way, September production usually means delivery by the end of October. Dealers will usually try hard to deliver by the end of the month after production so that the sale is reflected in those all-important month-end sales figures as soon as possible.

Best regards,
It's starting to sound like we won't start seeing deliveries here in the US in any volume until early next year. Arghhh........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts