BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I go out to start the Beast to listen to my new SS X-Pipe with Dinan exhaust, and it doesn't start. With the shift stalk in Neutral I press the start button and nothing happens. The display states "D1" not "N" as I would suspect. I tried starting the car eight times, but no luck. After all of the lights go off, the SES light remains on. The shift stalk is locked in the neutral position and would not budge out of its position. There were no control messages. On the ninth time the car started and I drove to the Dealer. There were no indicator lights of any kind on the display. Now I sit and wait. Has anyone had a similar problem? The wait is killing me.
:dunno:

Regards,

JDS M5

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have had this happen once or twice. I have found that if I get out of the car, lock it and unlock it from the fob (i.e., not using comfort access) it fixes it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
And this is okay for you, Andrew???
I am not thrilled with it, but it only happened twice and thanks to this board, I knew how to deal with it. Cetainly not a big enough issue to let the dealership start playing with it and mucking it up more.

Reactions: JDS M5

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not Starting

I have had this happen once or twice. I have found that if I get out of the car, lock it and unlock it from the fob (i.e., not using comfort access) it fixes it.
I guess I did this same proceedure this morning. After the car failed to start on the eighth try, I got out of the car to call roadside assistance, thus closing the car door, and later returned to try once more. This procedure doesn't make sense, nor should we have to live with it on a 90K purchase.grrrrrrr

I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.

JDS M5

·
Registered
836 Posts
This has only happened to me when I did not touch the brake long enough to activate the gear change.
If you put the car into N from R or D and don't touch the brake the car will stay in gear and not go into neutral.
If you have had your foot on the brake during these episodes then I'm stumped.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
BMW has seen problems like this one from time to time, as they come up with solutions to weird techno problems they have stated in this situation that it could be the length of time one holds their foot on the brake pedal while trying to start the car or shift in and out of gears from a stop start begining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts