BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had my M5 for 6 months now, and she eats oil like a beeyatch... Definitely not normal, I pretty much need a quart every gas fill up, and it's not leaking anywhere...

the thing is, every time I look under the hood, the area around the oil cap looks wet, sometimes there's even what looks like drip of oil, and it's just on that side of the engine... so I am hoping I just need a new oil cap... has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
Hi guys,

I've had my M5 for 6 months now, and she eats oil like a beeyatch... Definitely not normal, I pretty much need a quart every gas fill up, and it's not leaking anywhere...

the thing is, every time I look under the hood, the area around the oil cap looks wet, sometimes there's even what looks like drip of oil, and it's just on that side of the engine... so I am hoping I just need a new oil cap... has anyone else had this?
Not too sure the excess oil might be just residual oil spilt from the adding of oil?

I had the same problem, found out that the preious owner had the oil changed at a non BMW garage and they put the wrong oil into the engine. After a full oil change the oil consumption seems to be fine.

The right oil I am talking about for my M5 is Castrol TWS 10w60.

- Kin

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope 10w-60 oil change... and I really throughly cleaned up the area around the oil cap last fill up to make sure, so I'm thinking I need a new cap, just wondering if anyone else has had to do it as well.... thanks though!

·
Registered
590 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
Hi guys,

Oil cap leaking is common, just replace it. It won't do anything for the oil burning problem but it will keep the engine compartment cleaner.

Joe

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had to replace two of them but, my car has alomost 99,000 miles.

I think that they just wear out after adding so much oil all of the time.:hihi:

·
Registered
177 Posts
tranck said:
I think that they just wear out after adding so much oil all of the time.:hihi:
I totally agree. My car's consumption has gone down a lot from when I first got it. Having to add oil every 1500 miles or so made me go through 2 oil caps. Wverything seems to be fine with the cap now that I only add every ~2500 miles or so.

Hugh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts