BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Looking to upgrade to Supersprint oval muffler, which requires about 9" width.

Putting the stock OEM diffuser next to the muffer, picture below.

Seems like the OEM diffuser is a (soft) plastic.

Anyone has done cutout to the stock diffuser, and used what tool? Dremmel? And undercut, sand the rest?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Shaving with a dremmel like tool is probably a better route.

·
4,289 Posts
That doesnt look like a Superprint exhaust, at least not an M5 exhaust. SS offered 3 muffler style for the E39 M5, and none required cutting into a painted panel/trim.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Personally on a delicate cut that can't have mistakes I would stay miles away from power tools. I would tape up both sides with two layers of tape and draw my lines. I would clamp it in a vise or down to a bench. I would get a fine blade for my coping saw and install the blade so that it is pushing thru the painted side depending how I clamped the part and which side I was working from. I would move my clamping likely a few times because the small side looks like it will move if not clamped close to it. I would likely switch sides also which would mean I would turn the blade around so that I was always pushing into the paint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally on a delicate cut that can't have mistakes I would stay miles away from power tools. I would tape up both sides with two layers of tape and draw my lines. I would clamp it in a vise or down to a bench. I would get a fine blade for my coping saw and install the blade so that it is pushing thru the painted side depending how I clamped the part and which side I was working from. I would move my clamping likely a few times because the small side looks like it will move if not clamped close to it. I would likely switch sides also which would mean I would turn the blade around so that I was always pushing into the paint.
Okay, thanks.

This shop has done similar cutting before, their cutting pictures below.

Seems to me like a really clean cutting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
gixxer
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing