BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stealthone unit arrived today. Now I could use some help in figuring out how to wire it correctly.

The instructions explain how to hook up the I-Bus interface wire and provide the colors and location of the I-Bus wire itself. However, in spite of recommending that you use the direct wire power adapter provided with your Valentine One and "tap into a switched 12v wire in the overhead console" they don't identify which of the many wires found in the overhead console are in fact "switched 12v" wires.

Can anyone who has done this install recommend which wire should be used (color if possible)?

A search of past posts did not provide me with this information.

Any additional install tips would also be appreciated.

TIA,

Greg

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Last 03 5 said:
My Stealthone unit arrived today. Now I could use some help in figuring out how to wire it correctly.

The instructions explain how to hook up the I-Bus interface wire and provide the colors and location of the I-Bus wire itself. However, in spite of recommending that you use the direct wire power adapter provided with your Valentine One and "tap into a switched 12v wire in the overhead console" they don't identify which of the many wires found in the overhead console are in fact "switched 12v" wires.

Can anyone who has done this install recommend which wire should be used (color if possible)?

A search of past posts did not provide me with this information.

Any additional install tips would also be appreciated.

TIA,

Greg

Try:
http://www.bmwtips.com/

You need to go to "tips and tricks" then under "electronics/cell" choose "installing a valentine V1"

The wire you want is in the three wires going to the homelink:

"The cable with the white connector is the one you're looking for. The green wire carries 12V when the car is running, and is off when the car is off."

You can take a voltmeter and test it if you aren't sure and don't want to crimp the wrong one.

I attached the ground under one of the sunroof motor mounting bolts.

Good luck

A

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ard said:
Try:
http://www.bmwtips.com/

You need to go to "tips and tricks" then under "electronics/cell" choose "installing a valentine V1"

The wire you want is in the three wires going to the homelink:

"The cable with the white connector is the one you're looking for. The green wire carries 12V when the car is running, and is off when the car is off."

You can take a voltmeter and test it if you aren't sure and don't want to crimp the wrong one.

I attached the ground under one of the sunroof motor mounting bolts.

Good luck

A
Great link - just what I was looking for!

Regards,

Greg :byee55amg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm installing a Stealthone and Valentine 1 as well. The link is helpful but I'm still a little confused:

The instructions for the Stealthone tell me to attach a wire to the glove box. The link you show is talking about installing a Valentine 1, not a Stealthone.

My question - if I tap into the green wire in the overhead console, will that power both my Stealthone AND my Valentine 1, thus eliminating the need to find the correct wire behind the glove box?

I have to tell you, the wires behind the glovebox are a mess.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'd like a little more clarity before I go clipping any wires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toolape said:
Hi guys,

I'm installing a Stealthone and Valentine 1 as well. The link is helpful but I'm still a little confused:

The instructions for the Stealthone tell me to attach a wire to the glove box. The link you show is talking about installing a Valentine 1, not a Stealthone.

My question - if I tap into the green wire in the overhead console, will that power both my Stealthone AND my Valentine 1, thus eliminating the need to find the correct wire behind the glove box?

I have to tell you, the wires behind the glovebox are a mess.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'd like a little more clarity before I go clipping any wires.

Thanks.
You've got to tap into both wires, the green wire in the OH console to power the V1 unit. The wire in the glove box to interface with the car's electronics (Ibus) to provide the in dash display.

Follow the intructions and you'll be fine. :M5launch:

Regards,

Greg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Greg.

I have to tell you, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, there are a TON of wires back there. Stealthone says a "white/gray/yellow" wire. Do they mean it may be one of these colors or it's a multi-colored wire?

Also, the location of the wire is unclear on their instructions because the picture is tiny and there's a finger in the way.

Can you describe it's exact location? For instance, I see several vertical rows of wires. The first row on the left is 3 or 4 white wires I think. The Stealthone instructions seem to point further right? Any idea if it can be identified by row?

Thanks again.

Pete

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
In the nomenclature of wires, 'white/gray/yellow" means mostly white with a yellow and grey stripe.

This particular wire is for the Ibus- there will be a bunch of white/gray/yellow wires in there- maybe 8 of em? But there are hundreds of others. A 'bus' is such that any point of connection will work- so you can tape into the ibus on any of these wires or any place else in the car where the ibus is... I did the glove box. I removed the whole connection block to better access the wires.

The stealt on gets power- then the 'telephone cable' that goes between the Stealth one and the V1 supplies power to the V1 as well as communications between the two.

I didn't record row numbers nor even take a pic- sorry

Adam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts