BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was checking out Dinan's site and I clicked on the "racing" tab, which brings you to the page, showing the following:

"Powered by Dinan.

G&W Racing's engine of choice for one of the fastest racing series in North America?
Dinan's 500 HP S2-M5 engine, of course!

Why Dinan offer us the Dinan S2 package at 500 HP instead of 470 HP ???

·
Registered
797 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Why Dinan offer us the Dinan S2 package at 500 HP instead of 470 HP ???
Just a guess...this is the racing version of the S2 engine and it revs to higher RPMs. This, in turn, may be accomplished via lower mass internals.

Again, just a guess.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Jeff,
Whenever you speak with your Dinan contact person ,ask them to see what they have to say about this, okay.
Robert
Will do.

Also, I guess if you believe their specs:

S2 - 470 HP
S2+Cams - 481 HP.

Then, the standard S2 can get close to 500 HP.

By the way. I plan to dyno my car again sometime in the next two weeks.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jeff, Bro........

When your done with the dyno can you either post a message on the board or PM me directly, as I am interested in the dyno numbers you get from the test.
Thanks a lot.
Robert :cheers:

PS Even with the added CAMS, how does one squeeze another 20 HP out of the S2 package??? :3:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Re: Jeff, Bro........

FAST 5 said:
PS Even with the added CAMS, how does one squeeze another 20 HP out of the S2 package??? :3:
By not having to worry about Federal smog requirements.

·
10,445 Posts
I actually remember reading that they had to limit the rpm of that engine, to meet the regulations for the race sanctioning body, so there is more available. The main difference? Race engines don't need to idle smoothly, be docile around town, meet smog regs etc.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
mottati said:
The main difference? Race engines don't need to idle smoothly, be docile around town, meet smog regs etc.
Mike
Mike's right. This probably is a better reason that mine. Take out the cats and run with fixed fuel map...that can easily account for the difference. Jeff cherrsagai

1 - 8 of 8 Posts