BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been noticing that at dead center i have some play on my sterring no matter what setting i'm at(sport on or off). and the car is more subseptible to traming and crosswinds.
anybody has had this experience. is it the tie rods?
thanks

i will inspect the suspention soon i just have been busy at work.
thrust bushings are about 10,000 miles old and are X5's

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have this as well, also recently did my thrust bushings, and had everything checked - all tie rods etc OK...

so I think it's coming from the 'steering box' -not ready to drop 1200 euro on that yet...

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1 here... I asked this from BMW Workshop if it's some control arm or tie rod problem, but they said all those things are totally ok, that gap is from the "shelly steering system" as they called it, means the type where is no normal steering rack at all like in 540 and M5.

Only way to reduce that dead spot is to change new steering box they said... ouich

But, you can affect pretty much on that thing with good tires, and good wheel alignment, so your car is not so sensitive to crosswinds etc..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you had the center link inspected?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yup #9 costs less than $150 via the internet or ~$300 from the dealer.

I'm having mine replaced soon as the M mechanic at my dealer said there is some play in it causing some play in the steering. At my 60k service he said it wasn't that bad but would probably need replacing at my next service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts