BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is nothing I hate more about my car than that annoying rattle at start up !!:nono: Even after its warm, there is this tick, tick, tick sound that drives me up the wall! The dealer said it was normal but it just does not suit a BMW very well in my opinion.. My old 528 was quieter and smoother than the M5.. What is funny is that I've had the computer on the car reset twice and for atleast 2 days after resetting it each time there was no rattle at start up.. But eventually it came back.. I'm seriously considering the oil accumulator for the vanos..Has anyone done it ? Price ? :blabla:

M5 "D"

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
As you have a year 2000 car I suspect it's the old VANOS problem. This should be fixed for free by your dealer - it was a recall item if I remember properly.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
atlantisvip said:
There is nothing I hate more about my car than that annoying rattle at start up !!:nono: Even after its warm, there is this tick, tick, tick sound that drives me up the wall! The dealer said it was normal but it just does not suit a BMW very well in my opinion.. My old 528 was quieter and smoother than the M5.. What is funny is that I've had the computer on the car reset twice and for atleast 2 days after resetting it each time there was no rattle at start up.. But eventually it came back.. I'm seriously considering the oil accumulator for the vanos..Has anyone done it ? Price ? :blabla:

M5 "D"
Hey atlantis I didnt realise you were in Dubai, I am in Abu Dhabi, in fact I was in Dubai last night had dinner at the aviation club, give me a call sometime, 050 3519743 I would like to chat regarding Tony Edwards Motors, have you used him?
WillM5AD

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Will.. I've never heard of Tony Edwards Motors.. Where are they ?

Ashok, I did ask at the agency about the possibility of a recall on the vanos but they told me that they knew nothing about it and because I had bought the car second hand it was not covered anyway.. Are second hand cars not covered for recalls ??:rolleyes: Im gonna continue investigating though.. With Ramadan, the agency closes so early that I dont make it on time after work..:wroom:

Hopefully I'll see you around Will.. Are you originally from the UAE ?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
atlantisvip said:
Hey Will.. I've never heard of Tony Edwards Motors.. Where are they ?

Ashok, I did ask at the agency about the possibility of a recall on the vanos but they told me that they knew nothing about it and because I had bought the car second hand it was not covered anyway.. Are second hand cars not covered for recalls ??:rolleyes: Im gonna continue investigating though.. With Ramadan, the agency closes so early that I dont make it on time after work..:wroom:

Hopefully I'll see you around Will.. Are you originally from the UAE ?
Tony Edwards is an independent BMW service garage in Dubai behind House of Cars off Sheikh Zayed Road, I know he was in Kuwait when I was there and has a very good reputation, specifically on M cars. I am from UK originally working in Abu Dhabi. I had some recall work done on my 850i in Kuwait at no cost but that doesnt mean to say that the dealer in Dubai would do it, as you probably know they are a pita, and very expensive. I will have nothing to do with my local dealer here in Abu Dhabi just way too expensive, I would strongly recommend you talk to Tony Edwards before either having services or paying for parts etc. By the way do you know about the M weekend on 17th November in Dubai?
Will

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, definately let me know about that M weekend.. I go to a garage called "X Service Center" .. Its ok but they are always very busy and to be honest not too informative when it comes to troubleshooting.. They usually wind up telling me to go to the agency.. My email is [email protected] or [email protected].. Thanks again.cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It sounds like the VANOS to me as well. Best of luck with your situation and please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's called Vanos rattle. Thats when both vanos gears are rattling.

You need to have them install the repair kit of 4 toothed shafts and updated springs for gears.

This was the advice given to my mechanic from the BMW technician back at BMW NA, when they replaced a vanos bank and there was rattle.

Once they put the kit in , the rattle was gone.

There was also a service bulletin once about some vanos noise at startup. Had something to do with the oil draining from the vanos banks once car was shut off, but that noise went away after a minute or two of running. They have a fix for that as well, some sort of valve to prevent the oil from draining out.

If my recollections are correct, they told me in the course of my cars repair that a Vanos oil accumulator would cost about 2000.00 to replace. In the end BMW picked up the cost of all my repairs so I cannot be sure of that price, it's not listed on my work order.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a 2001 car and there is no rattle on odle, yes you can hear the gears and cams, but you need the bonnet open and it sounds mechanical and correct not bad.

I really hate tappet noise as well..... That's why I run some of my cars with tighter clearances than factory. Most alloy heads open clearances when hot, ie a 911.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts