BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I realize that every topic that could ever be discussed about the M5 has been. The one that I am needing some advise on concerns the shift knob. Come on, you have got to know where this is going if you have driven your car hard at all. The shift knob has this bad habit of coming off the stick when spirited shifting is occurring. Now this does not happen all the time, but it is pretty scarry when it does occur. I guess they could not make a screw on knob because of the little LED that lights up at night. Someone want to enlighten me as to why I need the knob lit up at night?

Any suggestions on a way to tie this knob down so it does not come off as easily?

Mark

·
10,458 Posts
you need the illuminated know because it's cool, of course...

Mine did this as well. I wrapped a layer of two of electrical tape around the shaft and then snapped the knob back on. this seems to have tightened it down pretty well. I eventually replaced it with a uuc knob (still illuminated) which uses a screw to hold it on properly.
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine has NEVER come off and I drive it fairly hard.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mine's wee bit wiggly, but it's never come off. Maybe the alternative knobs suggested--with Locktite, LOTS of Locktite on the screw or clasp.

OK, I tried being serious here, but I couldn't fight the urge......I gotta know, does the knob fly up in the air? What gear were you going for? Were you wearing driving gloves?

Oh great, thanks a lot! Now you've given me knob ripping envy. I feel so inadequate 'cause I've never shifted that hard :1: And I could get bawdy here, but I'll quit before the caffiene really kicks in. :biggrin:

I'l ask around to see if anyone has any tips for you.

PS I think you might miss your knob nightlight too. My Coupe doesn't have one (it does have the wiring harness thing for it though) and it sorta gets lonesome without it on a moonless night. :7:

Anita

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Ingenere said:
Mine has NEVER come off and I drive it fairly hard.
Mine came off once, I think it wasn't properly seated after the SSK install. I put it back on, and it felt secure, but I noticed it didn't seem to line up just right and was a little off center. After playing around with it, I realized it was still not properly seated. It is now ON correctly and I have had no problems since. As suggested, some tape on the handle should take up any slack. If that doesn't work, and you are brave, try just a tiny single dab of super glue. :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
This happened on my buds E46 after he changed the OEM shift knob for an M (unlighted) one. It pulls off when shifting quickly. It drove me nuts at first as nothing shuts down a quick pass like pulling the knob off, but other than putting some tape at the end of the shift linkage before you put the knob on you can also exert a little bit of downward pressure on the shifter when you pull it back or push it forward. Once I started doing that all was well again.
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think I will try the Mike's suggestion with the tape and see if it works.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Obviously, due to my ignorant joke attempts, I know jack-didley about what our shift knobs look like from the inside (and probabley the outside too), so after emailing my sweetheart of an SA, he offered this advice, "They will need a new shift knob, it is held in with plastic clips inside the knob itself and molded as part of the knob." Of course he is offering this info sight unseen. Do you know if your clips are damaged or something? Can you get the knob off without damaging it? I have know idea as to replacement cost.

Good luck with this, to all of you. I'm sure you're like me, especially when you're driving close to your limits, that the last thing you want is your equipment flaking on you. Of course I got a cosmic HA HA today. I had out my '88 Mustang and I was trying to punch it and merge in front of some oncoming traffic and my shift knob twisted real good on me--talk about a freak out :7:

Anita

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plastic clips you say? I will have to try and pull the knob off and see if these clips are indeed broken.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not really clips, but a plastic ring cast in with the rest of the knob near the bottom. This ring boss just snaps into the groove around the shift lever shaft where the knob meets the boot. Not a separate clip.:byebye:
-J

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2beemer said:
Not really clips, but a plastic ring cast in with the rest of the knob near the bottom. This ring boss just snaps into the groove around the shift lever shaft where the knob meets the boot. Not a separate clip.:byebye:
-J
Thanks for the clarification.

Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
I gotta suggestion, Dont manhandle the shifter:biggrin: Just kiding ! Kinda !

This happens more than you could imagine:crying:

We had the same issues here at the school. Students would regularly pull the shifter knob off. This usually happend durring the acceleration runs against the radar gun. Imagine that:) It was funny to see the students pull up at the end of the run, Stop by us and hold the knob up to the window with wires hanging out the bottom and say "Hey, this shifters messed up, I dont know what happend":7: :7: :7: Man thats funny! Anyway,
the truth is, you dont have to grab the shifter any harder because your driving faster:biggrin: Hold the shifter with an "open hand" when shifting and dont try to "snatch" gears. And relax :cool2: Dont rush the shifts. Take it smooth, you'll be just as fast and the shifter will stay on :biggrin:

However once it has come off, it will be easier to pull off again. So you may want to look at helping it with some of the previous suggestions.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine has never come off,(yet)

The light on the shift is cool though. Every one that I take on aboard at night (I say on board as at night friends call my M5 the executive jet :biggrin:, I have the comfort seats that look like buisness class )finds that enlightened M so cool.

As its standard its cool. If you add it, it probably wouldn't be. Thats the whole difference. You can say "yep it was already there so I left it"

:p

Marc

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the same problem with my knob after installing the UUC Evo3 kit. I think the mechanic after installing torqued a bit too much bending the plastic parts inside. Mine is wiggly and pops off now and then. Just spoke to my SA, she's ordered a new one and is claiming it under the warranty.

Jeremy

·
Registered
36 Posts
MDrifter is right, sounds like you're tensing up and pulling on the shift knob. Don't use the shifter as a bracing point during acceleration. Adjust your seat further forward to help support you, grip the steering wheel firmly, and use those abs :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
madbeast said:
....and use those abs :)
I like it! We could start a series of workout routines using our M5's.

The first in the series could be called, "Develop Rock Hard Abs While Shifting In Only 10 Minutes A Day" :7: :7: :7:

Anita

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice one !!:7:

Anita said:
I like it! We could start a series of workout routines using our M5's.

The first in the series could be called, "Develop Rock Hard Abs While Shifting In Only 10 Minutes A Day" :7: :7: :7:

Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH
Just saw my SA today and he added you should be careful when trying to get the knob off (of course, yours sounds like iti's loose already). Pull it straight up--hard! Don't twist it left and right or back and forth. And move your head out of the way when you're pulling it off or it could whack you in the forehead!! Seriously, that's what he told me. Could give a whole new meaning to the phrase "power shift" when you see stars after hitting yourself getting the thing off :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ok that was way lame!

Anita

1 - 20 of 24 Posts