BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers side under tension -

Passenger side collapsed, chain is loose -

Do they work off oil pressure? Or if it has failed, what's the easiest way to replace it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It works off pressure and then is a spring in there also.
There is no easy way. The vanos units are supplied oil through the tensioner and you can't can't the tensioner out without taking the chain off and you can can't take the chain off without taking the sprockets off.
Maybe it's just the cam lobes have compressed the spring and thrown all the slack to that side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just check and you're right about it being upside down, but the chain has a good amount of slack. There isn't any slack on the drivers side on the top or bottom. Hopefully your right about it being the position of the vanos or something.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
The side of the chain where the tensioner is sprung will always seem more taut. Thus, bank 2 will always seem taut on top, whereas bank 1 will seem less so. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I had a spazz about this on a newly built motor, then had to eat some serious crow when I figured the situation out.

--Peter

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The side of the chain where the tensioner is sprung will always seem more taut. Thus, bank 2 will always seem taut on top, whereas bank 1 will seem less so. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I had a spazz about this on a newly built motor, then had to eat some serious crow when I figured the situation out.

--Peter
Thanks. I tired to use a long screwdriver to check the tension on the bottom of the chain on the drivers side and it still seemed pretty taught, but i didn't have very good access to thoroughly check.

Thank you everyone for saving me 235+ dollars and a lot of unnecessary work :M5thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts