BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God knows this topic is beat up, however just two questions.
Have they improved cluch design(my car 03 17,000 )slips in
tall gears.I drive this car with knowedge of chuch weakness. Is that to say every 20,000a new cluch?

Also could some one out there help me with a Chicago area dealer that will not
pretend the E39 has cluch issues, don't care to fight if not needed.

I have not spoke w/Dealer as yet.

thank you!

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know about your clutch replacement issue, but I highly recomend Motorwerks in Barrington www.motorwerks.com. The Service Manager's name is Bob Poduch, you might want to give him a call and ask him if they will cover it, he's been very fair with me on other issues.

Regards

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Mikes said:
God knows this topic is beat up, however just two questions.
Have they improved cluch design(my car 03 17,000 )slips in
tall gears.I drive this car with knowedge of chuch weakness. Is that to say every 20,000a new cluch?

Also could some one out there help me with a Chicago area dealer that will not
pretend the E39 has cluch issues, don't care to fight if not needed.

I have not spoke w/Dealer as yet.

thank you!

Mike

Send a PM to members 'Struth' or "Mrs Struth" (if I recall).. they are in the area and have used a few of the dealerships- Perillo for sure, as well as others. I trust their opinion as they have given me great advice...

A

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mike,

Per ard's response, we use Perillo and they have been excellent...also convenient if you live close to downtown.

We have also had positive experiences with Knaus, although, our primary contact recently left the company.

Let me know if you would like contact information.

Stuart

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mike,
Unless the Dealer will replace under warrenty, spend the money and get a UUC clutch kit installed. You won't be dissapointed. The OEM clutch Su*ks the big one. I went throught two clutches before 18k miles, then switched to UUC.

Good Luck :M5launch:

·
Registered
71 Posts
No personal experience with clutch problems, but I use Laurel BMW in Westmont, have had very good service there for many years, before on my E28 M5 and now my Dinan S2 E39. If you go there, ask for Don Pawlik, he has been great to work with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
struth said:
Mike,

Per ard's response, we use Perillo and they have been excellent...also convenient if you live close to downtown.

We have also had positive experiences with Knaus, although, our primary contact recently left the company.

Let me know if you would like contact information.

Stuart
Just to second the Perillo nod. I'd gone there a couple of times to look at purchasing cars and decided I would rather chew my left arm off than buy a car from them. Hence I never thought to take a car there for service until my independent mechanic who I really trust suggested taking my car there for a warranty repair. I was really impressed with how good their service was, how professional they were about taking care of problems and how little hassle they gave me about having some pretty major work done. They replaced a transmission in my beast with one visit, confirmed the problem I was having and told me they would order a trans and call me when it came in. Four days later they called, I brought the car in and they put the new trans in and did the clutch while they were in there for like $250.

I was surprised, but they have been a pleasure to work with.
Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that sounds great,did they say the clutch is any better that
what was replaced?
thank you all for the help,i wiil post when i resolve issue.

Mike

bwstein said:
Just to second the Perillo nod. I'd gone there a couple of times to look at purchasing cars and decided I would rather chew my left arm off than buy a car from them. Hence I never thought to take a car there for service until my independent mechanic who I really trust suggested taking my car there for a warranty repair. I was really impressed with how good their service was, how professional they were about taking care of problems and how little hassle they gave me about having some pretty major work done. They replaced a transmission in my beast with one visit, confirmed the problem I was having and told me they would order a trans and call me when it came in. Four days later they called, I brought the car in and they put the new trans in and did the clutch while they were in there for like $250.

I was surprised, but they have been a pleasure to work with.
Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mikes said:
Wow, that sounds great,did they say the clutch is any better that
what was replaced?
thank you all for the help,i wiil post when i resolve issue.

Mike
Regrettably no, it's the same clutch as was originally installed on all E39 M5s. I figured that at the extremely small cost of the clutch resetting the clock on 30k miles on the existing clutch was worth the really small expense I was going to incurr.

Ben

1 - 12 of 12 Posts