BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using exhaust cutouts? I had a kit on one of my old cars a while back, and was thinking about trying to get a better sound out of this car and a little bit more performance wise without spending thousands on exhaust that I might not like. Just thought I'd check around first. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There is a video on YouTube of someone using
the stock exhaust with cutouts. I think it sounds great!
However, there is little to no performance gain from this. There
might even be a little loss of power since the factory
system is designed so well. I know you don't want
to spend thousands on an exhaust system, but I would
suggest saving up for an RPi GTS system. I love the amazing
noise and gains from this system!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a video on YouTube of someone using
the stock exhaust with cutouts. I think it sounds great!
However, there is little to no performance gain from this. There
might even be a little loss of power since the factory
system is designed so well. I know you don't want
to spend thousands on an exhaust system, but I would
suggest saving up for an RPi GTS system. I love the amazing
noise and gains from this system!
Well the money isn't that big of a problem, but I live in a gated community and my m5 is my daily driver. I want something that I can have fun with and then quite when need be. How loud would the RPi GTS system be on a daily basis? A lot of drone? And any idea on performance from them? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well the money isn't that big of a problem, but I live in a gated community and my m5 is my daily driver. I want something that I can have fun with and then quite when need be. How loud would the RPi GTS system be on a daily basis? A lot of drone? And any idea on performance from them? Thanks for the help.
The problem with any aftermarket exhaust on the M5 is cold start. There is so much pressure from
the exhaust that it could probably shake a small building if placed right. If your neighborhood is that
strict about noise and your going to be starting the vehicle at night or early morning then I would suggest having
it in a garage or at least out of sight. It's loud! However, once the revs settle down it gets very quiet at idle.
Cruising in 1st gear yields an amazing, but loud noise. Although, being quiet in the neighborhood will be no problem cruising at low rpm in 2nd gear. The drone? Compared to stock there isn't much at all. There might be a little around 3000rpm under
load on the highway, but it's faint. Power? There are many dyno graphs floating around on the forums that show 20whp+.
To sum it up I think this is the perfect exhaust!

For a 20% quieter sound there is the limited edition GTC mufflers.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...-rpi-limited-edition-gtc-muffler-sec-3-a.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with any aftermarket exhaust on the M5 is cold start. There is so much pressure from
the exhaust that it could probably shake a small building if placed right. If your neighborhood is that
strict about noise and your going to be starting the vehicle at night or early morning then I would suggest having
it in a garage or at least out of sight. It's loud! However, once the revs settle down it gets very quiet at idle.
Cruising in 1st gear yields an amazing, but loud noise. Although, being quiet in the neighborhood will be no problem cruising at low rpm in 2nd gear. The drone? Compared to stock there isn't much at all. There might be a little around 3000rpm under
load on the highway, but it's faint. Power? There are many dyno graphs floating around on the forums that show 20whp+.
To sum it up I think this is the perfect exhaust!

For a 20% quieter sound there is the limited edition GTC mufflers.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...-rpi-limited-edition-gtc-muffler-sec-3-a.html
Hey thanks. I might have to look into that. My neighborhood isn't strict about noise, but I don't want to bother everyone. I get up and leave my house around 5 am everyday so, don't want to piss everyone off. Btw, is the 20whp from just the section 3 or the 1, 2, and 3?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey thanks. I might have to look into that. My neighborhood isn't strict about noise, but I don't want to bother everyone. I get up and leave my house around 5 am everyday so, don't want to piss everyone off. Btw, is the 20whp from just the section 3 or the 1, 2, and 3?
Well hopefully your far away enough from your neighbors so it won't bother them.
The 20whp is on the lower side from what I have seen from the section 1, 2, and 3.
I have a seen a graph or two as high as 30whp. The section 1, 2, and 3 setup also has less drone than
the section 3 setup. I have only had compliments about the exhaust. Unless your neighborhood is
filled with older folks, then I am sure they should love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts