BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was offered & accepted a new civilian position at NATO HQ in Mons Belgium & I start in April. Am still negotiating with the company for shipping my car but "no relocation" is what I'm having to deal with I guess. In this way they are giving me tax-free $ for housing and that way I can keep my home here in Wisconsin which is good. So, it looks like I'll have to pay to ship my car. I've started to research costs and it looks like it'll be about $4K for a 20 foot shipping container with my car and a few household goods. This is from my door-step to the port in Brussels. I like the security of the locked container and was wondering if anyone else has ever had any experience with this?

$4K is alot of money & could do lots of upgrades with that but I would need to have my car over there & especially for the Autobahn! Also, would my warranty automatically transfer overseas? I'm covered for 10 more months. Anyone aware of any cool mods/ECU work the dealerships in Germany/Europe would do they won't do here?

Thanks guys if anyone can help.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Was offered & accepted a new civilian position at NATO HQ in Mons Belgium & I start in April. Am still negotiating with the company for shipping my car but "no relocation" is what I'm having to deal with I guess. In this way they are giving me tax-free $ for housing and that way I can keep my home here in Wisconsin which is good. So, it looks like I'll have to pay to ship my car. I've started to research costs and it looks like it'll be about $4K for a 20 foot shipping container with my car and a few household goods. This is from my door-step to the port in Brussels. I like the security of the locked container and was wondering if anyone else has ever had any experience with this?

$4K is alot of money & could do lots of upgrades with that but I would need to have my car over there & especially for the Autobahn! Also, would my warranty automatically transfer overseas? I'm covered for 10 more months. Anyone aware of any cool mods/ECU work the dealerships in Germany/Europe would do they won't do here?

Thanks guys if anyone can help.
Call BMW USA and tell them you are a soldier. I bet they will have decent connections for you on shipping costs! Also they should let you know about the warranty. I think they are pretty good about helping out enlisted military from what I read. If you do call them, let me know what they say. I am interested in knowing if they are good for anything haha

Reactions: USAF

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call BMW USA and tell them you are a soldier. I bet they will have decent connections for you on shipping costs! Also they should let you know about the warranty. I think they are pretty good about helping out enlisted military from what I read. If you do call them, let me know what they say. I am interested in knowing if they are good for anything haha

I will do that right now. Thanks much for the idea!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have moved back and forth overseas a bunch. I would suggest you get with E.H. Harms. It cost me around $1k to ship a Suburban to Bremerhaven and you should be able to go to a closer port to Mons. If you are going as a govie then you can give them your orders and I think it cuts the costs. As a contractor it will probably be a bit more but still less than 4K. You figure $1000-$1200 to the port from the midwest, then another grand or so for going overseas.

E.H. Harms has always been good for me. They are at 1201 Corbin Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201. Or E.H.Harms USA Inc.

Good luck and enjoy SHAPE. I was there two weeks ago and had some great food and beer.

The dealers here only have the canned software upgrades, but there are alot of good German companies for aftermarket. Obviously Kelleners is who I choose....

I am pretty sure your standard drivetrain warranty transfers, but the service does not. You have to pay for all service here. Hope this helps.

Reactions: USAF

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have moved back and forth overseas a bunch. I would suggest you get with E.H. Harms. It cost me around $1k to ship a Suburban to Bremerhaven and you should be able to go to a closer port to Mons. If you are going as a govie then you can give them your orders and I think it cuts the costs. As a contractor it will probably be a bit more but still less than 4K. You figure $1000-$1200 to the port from the midwest, then another grand or so for going overseas.

E.H. Harms has always been good for me. They are at 1201 Corbin Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201. Or E.H.Harms USA Inc.

Good luck and enjoy SHAPE. I was there two weeks ago and had some great food and beer.

The dealers here only have the canned software upgrades, but there are alot of good German companies for aftermarket. Obviously Kelleners is who I choose....

I am pretty sure your standard drivetrain warranty transfers, but the service does not. You have to pay for all service here. Hope this helps.
EH Harms is also the one who sent over my new BMW from Germany :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply I got from BMW NA;

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding information on exporting your 2007 BMW M6. However, we do not have information on exporting vehicles from the United States.

BMW of North America, LLC does not have any affiliates who assist in shipping or renting BMW vehicles. I suggest contacting an exporter to assist you with your questions. They can provide you with the necessary information on any modifications and costs associated with this process."

I'll contact Harms as some of you have suggested. Thanks much for all the info guys!!!

Dean

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
ok...guess BMW sucks then. They should have at least helped out in some way. I guess they don't want any kind of liability.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think they use EH Harms for all their cars other than the dealer or fleet ones. Same company I had in 2004 with BMW back to the states.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yeah, E.H.Harms does all of the shipping to the U.S. on European Delivery program cars.

And as stated by Bavarian Beast, don't expect service to be covered when outside of the U.S.

Another option (which I know sounds painful) is to sell or store your beast and pick up another one in Europe. If you can locate a new, but unsold, M6 in Europe, you might be able to buy it from Pentagon Auto Sales of Kaiserslatern, Germany under the U.S. Military Sales program (I assume will still a CAC) so you likely will qualify assuming export within some reasonable period of time. Just a thought. Then again, they probably have to sell you a U.S. spec car under that program. Maybe a new F10 M5 this fall...

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is super difficult to find an American specs M6 in europe. Not too many Americans here put the cash out for them. I was lucky that Russ Ramz decided to put his money into racing and sell his. Haven't seen one other American spec one here in the last 4+ years. No new ones for sure. Not a bad idea to look for one but I would keep what ya got and ship it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts