BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has re-dyed their interior of their vehicle or has done a color change.

How long does it last is it permanent ? Asking because I want a permanent change not something that will fade off or when scratched show the old color.

What's involved?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've heard many good things about re dying seats and many interior panels. But I have also heard that it is kind of a hard process if you do it yourself and you need a lot of patience. You have to basically sand and strip the leather and then dye it back. The people I know that have done it say it is permanent and that if you do all the right things and processes when preparing for dying and the actual process of it that the color will last forever just as if it came from the factory that way. It all depends on if you want to do it yourself or have someone from say and upholstery shop do it. I hope that helped just a bit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard many good things about re dying seats and many interior panels. But I have also heard that it is kind of a hard process if you do it yourself and you need a lot of patience. You have to basically sand and strip the leather and then dye it back. The people I know that have done it say it is permanent and that if you do all the right things and processes when preparing for dying and the actual process of it that the color will last forever just as if it came from the factory that way. It all depends on if you want to do it yourself or have someone from say and upholstery shop do it. I hope that helped just a bit.
Thanks, I think i need to find a good person that knows how to do it properly. Anyone know anybody in the Toronto area...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Iv just had my fronts done in the UK from a local guy he's been doing seats for over 30 years and he's amazing. I will post some pics of how work. What I do know tho is he gets makes how own product and gets it put on to spray cans somewhere in the USA then shipped back....

Sent from my SM-G925K using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts

Unfortunately I never took and before and after pics as I wasn't expecting to upload any for people but the seat was warn pretty bad also had some dye transfer on the bolster and lumbar area. And this is the finished results after sanding back and finishing

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

Unfortunately I never took and before and after pics as I wasn't expecting to upload any for people but the seat was warn pretty bad also had some dye transfer on the bolster and lumbar area. And this is the finished results after sanding back and finishing

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
those seats look great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With dying you need to make sure you are working in good conditions. Somewhere not too hot and not too humid, I've done a full redye and it was very tedious. I found that application with and HVLP gun was best. Not sure on the long term durability though as I did not keep the car for more than a few months after that, but I believe it's all in the prep work and the finish became much stronger with some time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts