BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At $275 ea vs oems' at $2200 ea, I'd like to know your thoughts.

SES lights
Problems installing

At 100,000 miles - no warranty here.

Had SES indicating cat fault - about the 4th time - both banks.
1st time in a while though.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adam28 said:
Call 'em.
I did, and I was not impressed with their responses.

I asked specifically what were the differences - advantages (other than price) and disadvantages and this guy simply said that they were more free-flowing.

I asked if they would cause an SES - he said - they shouldn't.

Why are they welded vs bolt on like oem - he said - that's just the way we make them.

I'm like, wtf bro?

So, I thought that I'd consult the board.

$275 ea vs $2500ea - I need answers and this guy was zero help.

I wanted him to say something like, well, we've installed X # on BMW's and we've had this % of SES lights and they were due to....

I also wanted him to say - here is a list of people who have had them installed and they would be glad to be used as references.

Something - ANYTHING other than generalities.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello,

I am not sure why your call went so sideways. I am sure there must have been some misunderstadning as our salesmen are much better then that. However, everyone has a bad day, so all I can do is appologize.

You do need to realize that on 100% of the cars that we have done aftermarket cats, they are all different. Cars do not react the same way. Even on the Supersprint full bolt-on solution, sometimes you get a SES sometimes you don't. WHY? I have no clue. I am sure it comes down to the electrical sensitivity in each car and the communication of the o2's - but there is really no way to predict these things. Crappy answer I know, but at least it is honest. It is better then just telling you it will fit 100% to try to get your money.

We have installed these cats on about 30-35 M3's and M5's. In addition, these cats will be used on our upcomming bolt on M3 cat system.

They are weld on for the M5 as they are universal cats. In order for them to be bolt on, you would need to jig up pipes, fabricate flanges, etc. etc. etc. This all equal more $. I can do a bolt-on piece for you for about $1500-1700. It will take 4 weeks and I need an M5 locally to jig from. We to this point had not seen the market, even with the known poor quality of the e39 cats.

Once again sorry that your conversation was less helpful then you had hoped, but this should help get you some answers.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brad @ evosport said:
Hello,

I am not sure why your call went so sideways. I am sure there must have been some misunderstadning as our salesmen are much better then that. However, everyone has a bad day, so all I can do is appologize.

You do need to realize that on 100% of the cars that we have done aftermarket cats, they are all different. Cars do not react the same way. Even on the Supersprint full bolt-on solution, sometimes you get a SES sometimes you don't. WHY? I have no clue. I am sure it comes down to the electrical sensitivity in each car and the communication of the o2's - but there is really no way to predict these things. Crappy answer I know, but at least it is honest. It is better then just telling you it will fit 100% to try to get your money.

We have installed these cats on about 30-35 M3's and M5's. In addition, these cats will be used on our upcomming bolt on M3 cat system.

They are weld on for the M5 as they are universal cats. In order for them to be bolt on, you would need to jig up pipes, fabricate flanges, etc. etc. etc. This all equal more $. I can do a bolt-on piece for you for about $1500-1700. It will take 4 weeks and I need an M5 locally to jig from. We to this point had not seen the market, even with the known poor quality of the e39 cats.

Once again sorry that your conversation was less helpful then you had hoped, but this should help get you some answers.

Thanks,
Brad
Thanks Brad - that was the type of info that I was looking for.

I will now consider your cats as an alternative to the oem's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts