BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed the ROTORA 12/4 piston brake kit on their M5.

Or has anyone installed an aftermarket brake kit? Any further comments on this? I asked this question before and most people commented that M5 brakes do just fine on the streets. And even for race track, they are also excellent.

Can the stopping power of the aftermarket brake kit be really felt as compared to the stock in order to justify it's cost?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Contact Simon at Evosport. That is what they have on their M5 and they promote and sell the product.
I have the Brembo system and love it. When considering the upgrade mod Active Autowerke,who did it, recommended Brembo.
I'm sure there are personal components in this discussion.
I did they 16" front rotors / 15" rears with fr. 6P and rr. 4P calipers. I'm no engineer but was told that 12P calipers have too much movement and creates flex which is not desired is a caliper. I have no idea if this is factual.

Good luck, M5Ranger

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M5 Ranger.

Yup, I'm talking to Simon. So I wanted to hear from actual ROTORA customers.

So with your Brembo, how's the stopping power like 20% better something like that?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The stopping power of BMW's stock brakes will be the same as the Brembo. What you get with the Brembo is repeated resistance to fade.

·
Registered
350 Posts
1 or 2 people on here got the BBK from Brembo.

I honestly could not justify spending the money on it, but then again, some of these guys have some serious cash, so its nothing to them.

Reactions: JoeCaMotto

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Member mishkinm5 has Brembos on his car. PM him for his assessment.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Lots more than 3, I can think of at least 10.

·
Registered
350 Posts
more than 3 people i know have it........theres plenty more
yeah, I just remember off the top of my head seeing like 2 threads in the past 2 weeks or so, but you're correct, a good amount of guys have em

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you guys counting the guys who own BREMBO or ROTORA?

COSMOS says stopping power of Standard M5 brake are same as BREMBO. Aren't the brake plates bigger on the BREMBO and ROTORA?

Is COSMOS saying, there is significant stopping distance change with upgraded brake kits like BREMBO and ROTORA?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have the Brembo setup and just wanted to chime in. I think the stopping power has improved, especially at higher speeds. The Brembos brakes make you feel more in control of the car. Also, going 100 mph and slaming on the brakes feels like you are stopping from 50 mph with stock setup. I dont know if its necessarily worth it for street use but if you drive your m5/m6 hard i think that what goes fast needs to stop fast.

Mike

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have driven Brembo and stock on many BMW's.

The stopping distance is the same for both cars, for daily driving it’s the same. For the track it’s the same because the pads that come with the Brembo's are terrible pads.

You can get the same performance from the M5 by changing the fluid and pads by using the stock rotors. The single piston is fine, I don’t know why people make a big deal out of it.

UNLESS you are racing the M5 and I do not know anyone who races the M5, (driving school yes, track events yes, racing no), stock brakes work well.

I say, yes the Brembos are cool, yes they help with repeated stopping because of the size of the rotors and multiple pads and all that helps with heat dissipation, but for street and DE events the stock brakes are the best in the business.

Again, some fluid and pads change will work wonders for our cars.

Reactions: EMVY

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice guys, especially M5Ranger & COSMOS.

I thinks its all very clear to me now :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts