BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A stock M5 tops out in the mid 180's, I beleive at about 186mph. The Dinan S2 car is supposed to be able to reach 191mph. I am sure there are modifications that could be made to the car so that you could reach 200mph, what they are I don't know. But, 186mph is fast enough for a performance sedan, I think.

Travis

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Stay tuned for the Black M5's top speed. It will be interesting to see what 800hp + red linning sixth @7500 = ??? km/h :M5launch:

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Black M5 said:
Stay tuned for the Black M5's top speed. It will be interesting to see what 800hp + red linning sixth @7500 = ??? km/h :M5launch:
Redline of 7000 would be an indicated 204 mph, 7500 would be an indicated 218mph!!! cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Is that indicated or actual ? Lets to see what it pulls regardless of actual or indicated.. Hey wait a min! It can be indicated because the speedo only goes to 300 km/h !

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
gsfent said:
Redline of 7000 would be an indicated 204 mph, 7500 would be an indicated 218mph!!! cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry
These are theoretical, and don't take into account any tire growth, wind resistance or BMW's infamous optomistic speedometer error..... :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
gsfent said:
These are theoretical, and don't take into account any tire growth, wind resistance or BMW's infamous optomistic speedometer error..... :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry
I would think the areodynamics of the car (cd) would play a big role and won't allow this car to top 200 mph without serious (>1,000) hp.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
There is a very simple mathematical forumla for finding out what sort of bhp you need to crack 200 mph. It's based on the cd, weight and rolling radius. The technical guy from EVO magazine explained how it worked. He illustrated with a McLaren F1 needing only a "small" amount of power to break 200mph because of it's aerodynamics where as a Fiat Cinquecento needs about 3 times the McLarens power to do the same. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Tfung posted this video about a year ago, he was booking along at 175. Still pretty fast in an E39 M5.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
there is a point where a given car will lose the battle of friction of the air aganist the car. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Black M5 said:
What have you done to the drivetrain to handle that sort of power.
Don't forget to take into account tyre growth at those speeds. You'll need a speed trap for accuracy

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
graeme_t84 said:
What have you done to the drivetrain to handle that sort of power.
Don't forget to take into account tyre growth at those speeds. You'll need a speed trap for accuracy
The drive shafts have been reinforced both on my and Renn's car.

RennSportSC'dKellenersM5,
You forgot something... I should have more top speed than you cuz i dont have the 3.45 diff :hihi:

Lets wait and see what rpm it will be able to pull in sixth gear :noSMG:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Black M5 said:
Is that indicated or actual ? Lets to see what it pulls regardless of actual or indicated.. Hey wait a min! It can be indicated because the speedo only goes to 300 km/h !
There is a digital speedometer in your onboard comp system, you can access it while you drive and reset it at the same time to give you actual indicated speed! In miles and in kilometers if you wish!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahmed said:
There is a digital speedometer in your onboard comp system, you can access it while you drive and reset it at the same time to give you actual indicated speed! In miles and in kilometers if you wish!
How do you get to the digital speedometer on the GPS???

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Black M5 said:
The drive shafts have been reinforced both on my and Renn's car.

RennSportSC'dKellenersM5,
You forgot something... I should have more top speed than you cuz i dont have the 3.45 diff :hihi:

Lets wait and see what rpm it will be able to pull in sixth gear :noSMG:
you didnt get the 3.45? interesting....would you care to tell me why?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
if he didn't change the gearing then the top speed is that of the stock m5 with the addtion of the extra 500 revs.

and the 3.45 would make top speed less.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts