BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the next generation 5 series and there seems to be quite a few guys out there that don't like the new look of the next 5&7 series Bimmers.
I wonder if any of you guys have some old E39 pics around. It would be interesting to see how close the test cars looked like the final and current 5 series product . I wonder if the "spy shots" of the E39 back then looked as good as we think our cars look now?
I'm confident that BMW will get it right in the next few years:biggrin: ....if not then what the hell am l going to do.:(
I still plan on getting another M5 near the end of it's final production.
Would a V10 fit in the E39 M5????....Yeh baby, now thats an idea...:hihihi:
APPLES

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
I would be interested to see spy shots of the E39 as well...

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are old pics flying around...

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
This is a very very old pic..

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
don't think it's a spy picture... I think that picture came out when the M5 was first introduced and was an actual press photo or something....

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I know it wasnt a spy..its just that was the earliest pic i could find kinggf

all the best
Adam

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
but it's a spy of the E39 M5... it's not really a spy of the E39 5 series.... since the M5 came out quite a bit later than the regular 5 series, we already knew what it was sort of going to look like.... I'm sure there are E39 spy pics in magazines... I should go through all my old ones to see if I can find a pic.. :p

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I remember seeing the first spy picture of an M5 on the Nurburgring. It was heavily camouflaged but it had the M parallel wheels:)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Adam said:
This is a very very old pic..

I do remember that picture! That was the one that had me drooling! I'm not sure that color is Lemans blue though. Seems too blue..is it Avus blue?

And finally, notice the chrome rings around the headlights. I'm glad they removed those before the M5 went to production.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Ya thats avus blue...

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Now this is ancient...

looks like a toy model..

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Adam said:
Now this is ancient...

Oh Ya... I remember that PIC... lovely... but still no spy pic... I guess we'll never know how the spy E39 looks like.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
One day ill find a spy pic!

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
69 Posts
What approximate date would it have been? I suppose 2 years before the introduction of the current car which was when?

I've got back numbers of "Car" magazine going back years and they're always keen on spy shots.

- Michael

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
1994-1995 I guess for the e39...for the m5.. late 97 to early 98..If you find anything please post :)

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Old 5-series Concepts

Ok -
I found an old '94 drawing of the future 5-series, but i'm not sure how to load it up for you all to see,

can anyone help?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
If it is apic at your home then you would have to scan it or take a digital pic of it..if its on the internet just point us to it! :)

all the best
adam
p.s good job!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pics

I've got the pic scanned in and everything, it just won't let me upload it to you all. it says:

Valid file extensions: No upload allowed

can anyone tell me another way? :confused:

- Pat

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Re: Pics

Big Country said:
can anyone tell me another way? :confused:
Pat U can try this or e-mail it to me and I'll post it. [email protected]

This is the way I do it...

1.) Find the pic u like... then upload it somewhere to host the pic.. either your server a server on the web... currently I believe hobbystage or imagestation allows u to link pictures. Webshots use to but now they dont... yahoo isnt a good site to choose cuz they use dynamic addresses so each time its a different address so you might see it one day and poof its gone the next. so hobbystage or imagestation works now.

2.) then find the pic u want to post, make sure u are signed off your account and not viewing the pic while u are logged on cuz sometimes u can see it but then others (we) are not allowed to to see the pic because we are not "you". so find the pic as if u were any other person surfing the net and right click it and select properties and highlight and copy its URL / link...

3.) Come here and when u are replying... add the image tags... either manually or with the IMG tag button on the top... it should look like [IMG ]http://www.theserver.com/filename.jpg[ /IMG] with out the spaces... i just included the spaces to show how its suppose to look. and thats it...

Hope fully I didnt make it too complicated... its not, trust me...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pic

Thanks UCSDxBOi, your instructions were awesome.

I put the pic on the web, and if I did it right, you should be able to see it down below.
I found the drawing when I was cleaning out a tub of old car magazines. I looked through the April '94 issue of Road & Track (0-100-0 on cover) and it was in the Ampersand section.

It's just a drawing, but it seems very similar to the production 5 -
kind of makes me scared about the new E60 looking vaguely like it's concept,

oh well, well see
- Pat

The Red caption reads:
BMW;s next 5-series lineup, making it's debut at next year's Frankfurt show, offers something for everybody. It will come in sedan, wagon, coupe, and convertible body styles, with six engines - four gasoline, two diesel- to choose from. The overall size of the 5-series will remain the same, although the wheelbase will be increased slightly. The wide use of aluminum in the new 5-series cars contributes to a significant reduction in weight vis a vis the current models.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
Pamilih
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing