BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever tried putting a set of rear m5 wheels on the front? going 275s all the way around on the same exact wheel as on the back? just curious. i love my m5, but i like the balance and steering feel of having the same size tires in front as in back. looses a bit of the understeer. that is really about the only thing i think i will change on the car because i like it quite a bit. it is a pig on the weight part, but its not my boy racer, so doesn't matter.

just curious if anyone has done the wheel thing.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Wow, do some searching since you'll uncover many people having done this, myself included. You do need 3mm spacers and longer lug bolts (Tire Rack has them). No clearence problems at all with 275/35 and 9.5" up front with the 3mm spacers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ditto. I would just add that after running 275s on front, on the street, for about a week, I was surprised by the amount of tramlining I was experiencing. Maybe it's my local roads, but I prefer my regular setup for the street: 8.5" and 10" wide BBS wheels with PS2s in OEM sizes.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
EdP said:
Ditto. I would just add that after running 275s on front, on the street, for about a week, I was surprised by the amount of tramlining I was experiencing. Maybe it's my local roads, but I prefer my regular setup for the street: 8.5" and 10" wide BBS wheels with PS2s in OEM sizes.
Were the tires new?? Tramlining is greatly magnified by unevenly worn tires. The rears tend to wear the insides off more and this will make the car tramline when they are fitted to the front.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lscman said:
Were the tires new?? Tramlining is greatly magnified by unevenly worn tires. The rears tend to wear the insides off more and this will make the car tramline when they are fitted to the front.
Not new, but only about 5k miles I would guess, and tread wear is even. I had to pull one of the front BBS wheels for a repair, and only had the rears to use as spares. I did like the way the 275s added some weight to the steering, but I also think the 275s gave away some steering sharpness, which I missed. The difference in tires also may have skewed my results slightly: Dunlop 8080s vs PS2s. Maybe having the PS2s on front in 275s would work better.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
EdP,

The PS2's have been voted better tires by all the knowledgable board members here, as you know. Also, by using the OEM rears up front your adding some unsprung weight, which might have caused the decrease in steering sharpness. What do you think?

Travis

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
CSBM5 said:
My absolute initial first word as I read the post title....

But hey, WELCOME TO THE BOARD AARON.

You will find an astonising/addicting/incomprehensible/large amount of info here... just do a SEARCH.

Really, this is not just being a smarta$$, just that there are some topics that are so perennial that folks just will not respond with the same verve and vigor they did the last time (or 5 times:)) ... There is some great, detailed info in the search- in fact sometimes you'll find stuff that you didn't even know you needed...

Ard

PS Yep, rear rims, on the front, spacers, lets you rotate tires, improves handling....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies everyone. i searched around a bit, but just figured i was being original, which i suppose i'm not....

anyways, any good tire recommendations, i see somebody likes the ps2 tires? what exactly are those?

my favorite tire has always been the azenis sports to give you an idea of what i like. maybe a bit more tread life than those tires, but they are such good bang for the buck. i do alot of drift events so normally i use extremely cheap tires because i went through a few dozen last season. other than those, the only other tires i really have experience with are hoosers and off road tires.

yes the larger heavier wheels and tires up front would affect the weight of the steering and the responsiveness of the steering, but i'm going for a bit more overall grip on front, and willing to sacrifice a little. plus, the front offset looks silly being inset so much.

·
Registered
463 Posts
M5Kid said:
EdP,

The PS2's have been voted better tires by all the knowledgable board members here, as you know. Also, by using the OEM rears up front your adding some unsprung weight, which might have caused the decrease in steering sharpness. What do you think?

Travis
I weighed them when I initially did the swap. (BBS RGRs w/PS2s) vs. (OEM w/Dunlop 8080s) = 7lbs lighter at each corner. I know I can feel the difference after swapping all four. Dunno about the weight difference affecting the steering sharpness. I had assumed it was attributable to the slightly wider contact patch of the 275s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts