BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I just got a new set of M3 front head rests, which has the ///M logo embedded into the leather material. I'd like to swapp out the stock headrests for the M3 headrests.
Can this be one? I looked at the fork like travel pins for the stock version head rests and they are very different than the M3 taveling pins. The M5 headrests have deep grooved notches on both sides of the pins and the M3 headrest pins have very small sized grooves when compared to the M5 pins. Last question, I pushed the power button upward to raise the headrest all the way up until it stopped on its own. I pulled straight upward on the headrest trying to dislodge it from its position but it didn't budge. Does do these headrests come off from the seat back??? Thanks for your help and any information on my situation. The first two PICs are the M3 headrest, and you can see the pin posts are different than the M5 pin posts. See the notches, as they are very different.
Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Robert;

I know on an E38 car you've got to pull a retention pin on the headrest posts in order to get them out. this is done by gaining access to the seat back. I'm not sure if the M5 follows suit, but I would think so. I'll do some poking around tonight.

-Audio

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am pretty sure I have seen a Beast with the ///M embossed leather headrests. I just assumed they were taken off an M3 and put in, so I would bet that this would work...

-Matthew

·
Registered
680 Posts
If not here, perhaps a quick phone call to the local dealer service department would fit the bill?

:)

-Matthew

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work at a BMW dealer. The crazy thing is the techs are brain washed or trained to ONLY do "things" by the BMW book, and if its not in there it can't be done. My BMW techs are very anal. the only thing that they will do is Dinan related work, outside of normal BMW procedure/work. BMW must be putting something into their water cooler. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Remove front headrest.

Just PULL HARD. You probably don't have to raise the mechanical part all the way up either.

While trying to figure out how to adjust the headrest, I found that I can just pull it out if I apply enough force on it (quite a bit so don't hurt yourself).

Hope this helps.

-Jay

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
kiwi M & M said:
Remove front headrest.

Just PULL HARD. You probably don't have to raise the mechanical part all the way up either.

While trying to figure out how to adjust the headrest, I found that I can just pull it out if I apply enough force on it (quite a bit so don't hurt yourself).

Hope this helps.

-Jay
I believe that I too, just pulled hard to get them out. They kind of snap out. However, be careful when putting them back in. I banged on it too hard and broke the plastic mount that holds the travel pins, as you call them. See, the plastic mount is connected to the motor so it can slide up and down. I needed a new mount after that. If you remove the seat back (two torx screws at the bottom) you'll see what I mean. If the travel pins on the front headrests are like the rear, you can unscrew them out and put them in the M3 headrest.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Here is how I would do it: Run the headrest to its topmost position, then pull with force upwards while wriggling it back and front.

(This is how it is supposed to be done on my MY2000 car. Use info at own risk. I will assume no liability should anything break.)

David

{Kiwi and Bootmiser, pardon my redundant post - you posted while I was typing. Lots of windows open right now... }

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Cool idea Rob, but how about getting the m colours painted in the 3 stripes? and the "M" in silver to match the colour of your car? even more unique :1:

Let us know if the headrest pulling technique works, want to take them out for some aftermarket work too ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Fast 5, did you ever get anywhere with putting the ///M Logo headrests in your M5?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HDClown said:
Fast 5, did you ever get anywhere with putting the ///M Logo headrests in your M5?

I haven't had the chance to do it, but........
I spoke with my BMW Dinan tech today. I will bring my car into the shop sometime next week, to have the headrests done. he feels confident that he can pull it off, literally pull it off....... LOL............... hiha hiha
He think he can scalp the skin off the stock M5 head rest and do the same to the M3 headrest, then take the leather skin of the M3 headrest and cover it onto the M5 headrest skelatal frame. I'll posts pictures onto this thread, sometime next week with the results.
Robert :cheers:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I not sure just pulling will work, be very careful. The reason why is because these are motorized headrest. so they may be some type of wiriring done, I would call someone like AI design that always put TV's in headrest. And maybe they can give you some insight.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
92 Posts
The headrests do just pop out. They are simply held in by tension. The motorized portion stays inside the backrest section and can still be moved up and down without the headrest in. It is the same with all the E39 5 series. Once the headrests are removed you will see that there is a roundish little metal knob on the bottom of each post that causes the headrests to snap in and stay in place.

Regards,
Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts