BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Has Anyone Been Able to Use a Non-BMW StarTac with the BMW Installation Kit

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevin Smith 
#1 ·
There have been numerous posts, but no results. Has anyone actually gotten their non-BMW StarTac to work? Timeport to work? V-phone to work?

If yes, did the address book download?

#3 ·
it wont work- except to charge your phone. the reason is that the bmw version of the star tac has a minor software change that allows the star tac and the bimmer to work together. MB has a similar system. bottom line as far as I know- you gotta get the bmw phone. I hear they are out or will be out with soon a voice activated system so before you buy the star tac phone check on this.

ME

#4 ·
Installing new system today. BMW Startac 7797 with voice activation. Will let you guys know it works.
Someone below complained about not have the internet access and other features below. I think that is getting just a little dangerous. It hard enough to operate the phone or navigation system without crashing the car. Now, they want to read e-mail?

Mark

#8 ·
To MarkM5Lauderdale or anyone else who knows:
what is the purpose of the PSE box (part #84 11 0 026 229) for the StarTac? My dealer only ordered the other 2: phone and install kit? Is the PSE box the voice recognition? Please let me know asap -- dealer is installing phone tomorrow and has no clue, as usual. Thanks

#10 ·
Yes it seems that the "v-phone" or "vader" as we call it in the states is currently the phone being installed in Europe under the model name "Motorola Handy". I hear that BMW is going to offer a new telephone to the U.S. in December. Anyone else?

#11 ·
Yesterday, the parts guy at my BMW dealer told me that the CPT 8000 will be out by spring, not in December. I had the 7797 installed, and it works, but it could be better integrated with the GPS screen. I wonder if the 2001 navigation system works better with the phone. It seems Mercedes and BMW Europe are way ahead of us in phones.

------------------
Kevin
00 Red M5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.