BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still curious on how the M5/M6 compares. I know Gustav did some runs, but I'm still not sure what the results were. I've also heard the new dual clutch transmission is suppose to shave a couples of tenths of it's times.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
There's a kid around here who's got a brand new Black one. I keep trying to get him, but we always pass each other going to opposite directions. I'll be sure to catch him and soon and I'll post back with the results...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
All of the new M3's tested in the mags were the manual 6 speed but the new DCT tranny is wickedly fast.
We had a rolling start race from 30 mph to about 120 mph against a MB C63 amg and the M3 came out on top.
This new tranny is fast and does shave fractions of seconds off.
The M3 with the DCT is outrageous.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Juan,
I thought you were going to respond about how YOU had raced one. I was going to say that's not even fair because all of your cars are wickedly fast! I can't wait to race one and you're right, those DCT's are super quick

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the new M3's tested in the mags were the manual 6 speed but the new DCT tranny is wickedly fast.
We had a rolling start race from 30 mph to about 120 mph against a MB C63 amg and the M3 came out on top.
This new tranny is fast and does shave fractions of seconds off.
The M3 with the DCT is outrageous.
I'm a little confused about your response. Were you in the M3 or the C63? Don't you have an M5? THe the M3 a 6 speed?

Thanks Man

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
ya i rased one, i had the M3 he had an M3, an E46....i beat him.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've raced one on he highway...from about 70-140 neck and neck the whole way....very good looking car also..

*however...I wasn't in the M6, I was in the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I raced 2 M3s with manual transmission. Same result with both. 1st and 2nd gear neck to neck. The M5 says goodbye when we shift to 3rd..:byee55amg

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to chime in..."But it's faster in the twisties":hihihi:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
In my at full tilt (NOS included) it would totally unfair. Even on pure motor with the mods the M3 would be spanked.
I included that little encounter because in the mags they always have the C63 AMG beating the M3 on the straight line but I tell you not with the DCT tranny. Even with all the grunt the MB has.
I think the M3 is a good car and wait till the mods start coming. I hear Active has already been working on things.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Oh BTW forgot to ask, does anyone know if the DCT tranny will come in the M5/M6's ?

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I highly doubt it Juan; I think the DCT will be mated with the next iteration of the M5/M6. I think BMW does not want to piss off is existing customer base who own either/or with the SMG tranny. Irregardless of the race scenario between the ///M5, ///M6, and/or ///M3; each of the m's serve's a different purpose. You want raw handling get the ///M3, you want raw power get the ///M6, you want the best of both worlds get the ///M5 . I personally can't wait til my e92 gets hear!!!!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Who cares about the M3.. The 335i Modded spanks the M3 all day long, not to mention you get over 100hp more torque. Its what I drive right now and it just makes for a Fantastic Exeperience.. The 335 also weighs less and when modded will be comparable on the track.. I also had an E46 M3 in the past but nothing beats the feel of a Twin Turbo car modded with more than 420 Crank HP. and 400 Ftlbs torque. Also check out some of the 335 vs M5 videos on you tube.. There are guys nosing out the M5s up to 120 . After that the M5 just starts to pull away

·
Registered
831 Posts
Who cares about the M3.. The 335i Modded spanks the M3 all day long, not to mention you get over 100hp more torque. Its what I drive right now and it just makes for a Fantastic Exeperience.. The 335 also weighs less and when modded will be comparable on the track.. I also had an E46 M3 in the past but nothing beats the feel of a Twin Turbo car modded with more than 420 Crank HP. and 400 Ftlbs torque. Also check out some of the 335 vs M5 videos on you tube.. There are guys nosing out the M5s up to 120 . After that the M5 just starts to pull away
Last issue of Roundel had a couple of articles profiling 2 different modded 335's by different outfits, one was Dinan and I think the other was Active Autowerks. Great cars, tremendous potential with the turbos...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've raced one on he highway...from about 70-140 neck and neck the whole way....very good looking car also..

*however...I wasn't in the M6, I was in the truck.
hmmm

I agree that it's amazing the numbers these modded 335s are turning, but it's not exactly fair to compare apples to oranges. Just wait until the M3 starts getting mods...

·
Registered
324 Posts
hmmm

I agree that it's amazing the numbers these modded 335s are turning, but it's not exactly fair to compare apples to oranges. Just wait until the M3 starts getting mods...

Modding the M3 will be in the same dillema as the Last M3 and our current M5 M6. The engines are maxed.. The only potential is removal of cats on Headers, Torque is still crap though..

A 335 with an Intercooler upgrade, proper software and filter will eat the M3 All day. My car with just the chip already runs extremly low 12s.. The M5s have yet to see a solid consistent 11's number, and the 335 already has easily.

Its not apples to oranges.. M3 is a 3 series with an NA motor. 335 is a 3 series that is lighter with a twin turbo motor.. You have more potential out of the 335 with modding than you do with the M3. I agree the M3 is a beautiful purists car.. but the 335 is a Twin Turbo MONSTER that can be made into an ultimate track Beast...

I currently live in Germany with 95 octane, I spank RS4s, R8, 996 TT, all the time on the autobahn with my current tune.. I also have an LSD upgrade and suspension for the track (Nordschliefe).. Nothing gives me that feeling of laying rubber thru 2nd gear.. I was almost not considering an M6 just because of the lack of Torque which the 335 supplies me Alll day long.. Its soo wonderful. My favorite is to be at a red light and do a 2nd gear shift with the tail end swinigng out, people are just amazed.. yes the M3 is more asthetically beautiful, but the 335 is a Power Hungry sleeper

·
Registered
994 Posts
Modding the M3 will be in the same dillema as the Last M3 and our current M5 M6. The engines are maxed.. The only potential is removal of cats on Headers, Torque is still crap though..

A 335 with an Intercooler upgrade, proper software and filter will eat the M3 All day. My car with just the chip already runs extremly low 12s.. The M5s have yet to see a solid consistent 11's number, and the 335 already has easily.

Its not apples to oranges.. M3 is a 3 series with an NA motor. 335 is a 3 series that is lighter with a twin turbo motor.. You have more potential out of the 335 with modding than you do with the M3. I agree the M3 is a beautiful purists car.. but the 335 is a Twin Turbo MONSTER that can be made into an ultimate track Beast...

I currently live in Germany with 95 octane, I spank RS4s, R8, 996 TT, all the time on the autobahn with my current tune.. I also have an LSD upgrade and suspension for the track (Nordschliefe).. Nothing gives me that feeling of laying rubber thru 2nd gear.. I was almost not considering an M6 just because of the lack of Torque which the 335 supplies me Alll day long.. Its soo wonderful. My favorite is to be at a red light and do a 2nd gear shift with the tail end swinigng out, people are just amazed.. yes the M3 is more asthetically beautiful, but the 335 is a Power Hungry sleeper
Where in Germany? I used to live there. 95 octane Euro is the same as US 91.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I happen to disagree here. A tuned 335 is maxed out. That's simply the most power you can extract out of this motor without serious modifications.

I've driven both an E92 M3 and an E90 335 on the track, and the M3 clearly handles 10 times better, not to mention the use of EDC. Also, the new M3 motor has an extremely strong valvetrain and bottom end. This means that you can boost the motor to something that would make M5's look like a mustang.

On top of that, the fact that 335's are now MSD81 ECU which prevents any programming or piggyback system, means it will stay at 300hp/300ftlbs for until this control module is figured out. And on the older 335's which had a control unit that allowed piggybacks, the tuning is NOT correct way to do it. Piggybacks are terrible ideas especially on extremely complex control units. They throw off careful load calculations and other parameters.

I will admit however, that the torque is very nice on the 335 in comparison with the m3. But a supercharger on an M3 is a whole different playing field.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I drove the M5 and the M3 back to back at Spartanburg last month during an MDriving Experience. The M5 was 10MPH faster down the back straight at full tilt than the M3. However, get to the first turn.........................

1 - 20 of 52 Posts