BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you did then you must have saw the new 5 series M package. I'm sorry that just made me want to call my dealer tommorow and refund my deposit on the M5. How could BMW do that? You think it was to save the 5 series? Now the new M5 will look like all the other ones. If anyone can scan the pic that would be great.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Is it identical? They had a package like that for the e39, too, and it wasn't quite the same as the M5's (they didn't have the rounded mirrors and a few other things weren't quite "M5"). A lot of dealers sold them when it was all but impossible to get a real M5. Trouble with buying a package like that is that real M5 owners will call you a poseur even though the package is factory original.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the picture was only of the front and besides not having the round side mirrors and the side grilles (I'm only guessing on that) the front looks the same. THOSE BASTARD~!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
From what i know, the E60 M5 doesn't come with front fog lamps. So thats one dead giveaway. ;) Doesn't really take a keen eye to spot the differences imo. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
i saw one the other day, on a 54 plate, so brand new. I had to check the back to see if it wasnt an M5....couldnt tell what it was, but had big calipers on it, may have been a 545i i guess.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What counts is under the bonnet, not outside it. In fact for me the more stealth the M5 is the more I prefer it. Nothing is more satisfying to see more expensive sports cars being humbled by an 'ordinary' sedan... :wroom:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
540-aiite said:
Well, the picture was only of the front and besides not having the round side mirrors and the side grilles (I'm only guessing on that) the front looks the same. THOSE BASTARD~!!
I don`t really understand what people are complaining about, this isn`t a new fenomenon, even the E39 had M package that had very similar grade of resemlance to the real deal. (even E34 and E28 have had these packages, though on the M5 it was optional as it was for the usual 535i)
So I really don`t understand what the problem is concerning E60 m-package...

Just my 2c
Sakke

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. Porsche offered a 'turbo look' package for their 911's some years ago - NA 911 that looked just like a turbo. I don't think there was a big problem with existing turbo owners.

The people that really know cars will spot the difference pretty quick. Mirrors and foglights from the front, no ridiculous vents on the side, and no quad exhaust in the rear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea that true you can tell the difference if you look closely. Just like how you can tell the difference between a SL55 and a SL65. But since I went from "I GOT TO HAVE ONE!" to "Ah SH*T, IT'S NOT THAT PRETTY" to seeing something that looks the same until you get up close. I pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to give up my spot for the e60 M5. The e39 sport package only looked like the M5 when it was on it's last leg of production. But come on...The e60 M5 is not even out in the states and now you are going to have someone driving around a 530 looking like an M5. Sorry, doesn't work for me.

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
Well, the sport-package for the E39 that looks like an M5 was available from MY2000 in Europe, around a year after the M5 was introduced. I don´t know if the sport-package will be available in the US right away.

As Dr Sakke says sport-packages that looks like M5´s has been available for 20 years now so it isn´t exactly something new.

·
Registered
430 Posts
540-aiite said:
If you did then you must have saw the new 5 series M package. I'm sorry that just made me want to call my dealer tommorow and refund my deposit on the M5. How could BMW do that? You think it was to save the 5 series? Now the new M5 will look like all the other ones. If anyone can scan the pic that would be great.
ahm, are you joking?

there's MUCH more difference between e39-m5/m-sportspackage

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
max_m5 said:
ahm, are you joking?

there's MUCH more difference between e39-m5/m-sportspackage
To the average eye the front looks the same and only took a little more money to make it look like one. Trust me I know I have both. I took off most of the pieces on my M5 and transferred it over. Now it looks like I have two.

·
Registered
207 Posts
it looks to me that 540-aiite is more buying the car for it's looks than for it's engine. I would buy the car anyway if i had the money:crying: . I definitely wouldn't think to not buy the car because there are some people with a car that looks almost the same as mine does. Just because it isn't exclusive anymore? Just think that you're driving an M5, and you see someone with a sport package, you can think "hehehe, your car perhaps looks the same, but i can still blow you away :1: "

·
Registered
955 Posts
if a guy wants to divorce his wife just because he finds out she has a twin sister....i really don't know what to say. ouich

i don't know about other people. but you simply don't buy M5 becasue of its look. there are many more better looking car for less money than the M5.

·
Registered
955 Posts
540-aiite said:
To the average eye the front looks the same and only took a little more money to make it look like one. Trust me I know I have both. I took off most of the pieces on my M5 and transferred it over. Now it looks like I have two.

actually, to the average eye. a M5 looks just like a 5-series. and that's the beauty of cars like this. its elegant and understated, a sleeper if you will. if the aggressive look is what you're after, perhaps a 911 is a better choice for you?

·
Registered
336 Posts
540-aiite said:
So you are buying a car to please the average eyes? :confused3

I still can't believe you actually had your M5 deposit refunded just because the M-tech package will look a bit like the M5 (which is no surprise)?ouich Sounds like you didn't know what you were buying.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maq said:
So you are buying a car to please the average eyes? :confused3

I still can't believe you actually had your M5 deposit refunded just because the M-tech package will look a bit like the M5 (which is no surprise)?ouich Sounds like you didn't know what you were buying.

I knew exactly what I was going to get. I thought the M5 was going to look awesome. Sure the performance is great but it has to be pleasing to the eye. You telling me if the new M5 looked like a beetle you would still get it? I love the performance and balance of the car BUT....Don't tell the looks are nothing. The e39 M5 was great because it looked so juiced up with just a couple of new body pieces. I guess to everyone their own. As for buying a 911, either you like the look of a Porsche or not. The only Porsche I would get is the GT2 or GT and that is only purely on performance. Porsche people..don't flame me. I love Porsches. Just waiting to see the new 997 Turbo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts