BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to take a minute to say hello and how much I’ve appreciated getting to browse everyone’s contributions over the last few weeks. This is an incredible resource and I hope to contribute something useful at some point, even though it would likely result from some unexpected issues.

I’ve always loved E39s and hoped when I had a bigger garage to have one as a fun car. It would have to be a manual and I wasn’t hard over on whether it ended up being a 528i or a 540i. Then in September I noticed a very nice looking one just set back from the road on the way to and from work at t little independent used car dealership. From the front I wasn’t knowledgeable enough to infer the model (I certainly could now), but after a week or two I got online to see if the dealer had a website. Sure enough, he had a site and the nice looking car I had been eying from the road was an M5. The interior/exterior photos online looked fantastic and I knew I had to go for a drive.

An acquaintance had let me drive his 6-speed 2000 528i a few months ago and I had really enjoyed the feel of the car – much more engaging than my 2011 528i (first-year F10, only year with the normally aspirated 3.0L I-6 [final non-turbo 5 Series in the US, actually]). Seeing this M5 in person didn’t disappoint – as good as the photos. And after the drive, I was hooked. The car had two previous local owners, 102k miles, clean CarFax and the condition, especially the interior, was amazing.

A few days later we negotiated a price and moved forward. I paid a little under asking ($19k, down from $19.9k), realizing it wasn’t a low price, but it was definitely worth the premium dealing with a reputable local guy – the logistics, time and uncertainty of going after a non-local car just wasn’t going to happen right now. He would warranty the power train for 30-days and the car already had an appointment the next morning at his go-to German guy to diagnose/address a code that was being throw – I was in no hurry to take delivery, so this was fine with me.

I get a call the next day that the code was for aux. air intake failure and, thanks to the many contributions to the forum, we don’t need to discuss what that means. He said it would be a few weeks to do what was basically a top-end re-build of the engine and offered me the chance to back out (hoping I would, I’m sure, so that he could advertise the work being done and mark-up the car). I was in no hurry, and I wasn’t getting the bill thanks to the terms of the sale, so we went ahead.

Long story short, seven weeks later I finally got the car (and got to know a solid mechanic in the interim who will get my business as my daily driver’s warranty sunsets) and I’m loving the occasional drive. Hoping my wife and I can make it to a car control clinic on a track next year thru one of the nearby BMW CCA chapters.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Congrats and wow interior looks new contrary to the 102k miles stated.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! Looks to be in top shape.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congrats on the M5.

So it's a 2000 with upgraded taillights. Price is a little high, IMO.
There's no 6sp 2000 528i, BTW.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It does look great, but the price was definitely too high. For a couple grand more you could have gotten an E60 M5. I think you should have paid in the neighborhood of 16k.

'03 M5's with 100k are going for under 20 now. And with a later e39 comes with the updated navigation, steering wheel, face lifted headlights and tails, interior, etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratulations on a nice looking example. Instead of having them rebuild the top end I would have opted for having them float me some dollars for the supercharger and the aux air issue would have been moot but I don't think you'll have any regrets either way. ;)

By the way, white does stay clean the longest.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts