BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question:

Is the sizing of the V12s is equivalent to our stock PS2s? aka Do they run the same width?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I didn't measure or anything but they seem the same to me. Good tire for the price. I only got 6K miles from the rears however, and I don't drive that aggressively. I put another set of rears on but next time I'm either going to try Continental ExtremeContact DWs or just go back to PS2s.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
146 Posts
Compared to the N1 PS2's I had, I found that the Ventus was just a tad wider, or seems to have a bit more meat to protect the rims. It's not a bad thing. This was in 19" size, 345.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I didn't measure or anything but they seem the same to me. Good tire for the price. I only got 6K miles from the rears however, and I don't drive that aggressively. I put another set of rears on but next time I'm either going to try Continental ExtremeContact DWs or just go back to PS2s.
To the OP, I put the V12's on my car all around a few months ago. Cant answer your specific question, but on the rear, Dinan 18 x 9.5's with 10mm spacer still no tire rub. This is in comparison to PS2's from before.

Good tire for the money IMHO.

Kevin, part of the reason you only got 6,000 is your standard BMW alignment. They are set of from the factory to burn ANY tire in the OEM specs. Bet they wore on the inside?? In going to less rear camber (Which several have done) you will get many more miles out of those tires. I had about 20,000 on my previous Michelins.. Yours results with # of burnouts will vary :cool2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had my put on when my car as 17k miles, now its 24.5k miles and so far so good.

I try to drive lots of freeway but living in SF makes it tough.

Last time I checked, tires are still in good shape. But after the Timmays pipes...who knows :biggrinbounce:

I did not measure the width compared to stock, but when there is a rebate and sale...the Hankooks are really tough NOT to buy

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same result as Kevin with these tires. 6000 miles and they were finished no burnouts or anything like that on them. Good tire but wears too quickly IMO

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Kevin, part of the reason you only got 6,000 is your standard BMW alignment. They are set of from the factory to burn ANY tire in the OEM specs. Bet they wore on the inside?? In going to less rear camber (Which several have done) you will get many more miles out of those tires. I had about 20,000 on my previous Michelins.. Yours results with # of burnouts will vary :cool2:
Steve, absolutely agree with you about stock camber and the tires did wear on the inside more quickly as all my rear tires have. But I got 12K miles out of my PS1s and 2 sets of PS2s with the same camber setting. I'll be interested to see if the rears I just put on do any better. Since the fronts were fine, I figured I'd throw on another set of rears given they are so inexpensive and replace the full set with something else next time.

Any handling difference with your settings? I'm guessing BMW dialed in negative camber for a reason (?)...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Steve, absolutely agree with you about stock camber and the tires did wear on the inside more quickly as all my rear tires have. But I got 12K miles out of my PS1s and 2 sets of PS2s with the same camber setting. I'll be interested to see if the rears I just put on do any better. Since the fronts were fine, I figured I'd throw on another set of rears given they are so inexpensive and replace the full set with something else next time.

Any handling difference with your settings? I'm guessing BMW dialed in negative camber for a reason (?)...
Kevin,

You know, I think my car handles flawlessly as it is set up. You can see from my sig. that I have the Dinan suspension. I imagine it could handle better, but I have thrown it into some good cornering manuvers with zero over-steer and have never experienced the rear wanted to loose grip. If I tracked the car alot, then I would most definetely go with the more agressive neg. camber, but I dont.

Now, I havent really tried to abuse the Hankook yet. My experience has been with the Michelins. With that, I will never go back to the OEM rear settings since even now, I appear to be getting linear wear across the rears.

cherrsagai

Reactions: KevinM

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just got these with my new wheel set up...6k seems REALLY REALLY low...haha...I mean that would be ok for me since i only put about 3-4k a year on the beast, but still seems low.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I just got these with my new wheel set up...6k seems REALLY REALLY low...haha...I mean that would be ok for me since i only put about 3-4k a year on the beast, but still seems low.
I think 6K is way too low. I just put on 4 brand new PS-2's & have my PSS-9 kit almost complete. I'm trying to retain as much of the M5 factory alignment specs as possible. I think if the tires are properly inflated & the car is occasionally driven aggressively, we could get 11-12K+ out of those rears. Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think 6K is way too low. I just put on 4 brand new PS-2's & have my PSS-9 kit almost complete. I'm trying to retain as much of the M5 factory alignment specs as possible. I think if the tires are properly inflated & the car is occasionally driven aggressively, we could get 11-12K+ out of those rears. Just my .02 cents...
I guess im just use to getting 25-35k outa my 528's dunlops..lol

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Your getting it all wrong guys, your supposed to change rear tires with every oil change!

·
Registered
6 Posts
46M owner chiming in here. I bought brand new PS2s, wore them out, and then switched to band new V12s (identical sizes). PS2s are notably "beefier"... much more curb protection, which makes them look a bit wider. PS2s are smoother and quieter and grippier. V12s are a good all around street tire, especially for the price, but they are a step down from the PS2.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Invoice

okay...looking at my invoice...

my stock sized tires came in on 11/09/09

tires priced at ($687.19)-($50.00 hankook rebate)= $637.19 for all four tires

had them mounted/balanced/and aligned at THE SHOP in San Bruno for $146.85

so the total for new tires and tire change and alignment is....(drum roll please......)

$784.....and some change :1:

put about 7-8k miles on the tires just regular driving, no tracking, no racing...they seem to have at least 3-5k miles left...until I install Timmays pipes that is.....

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
46M owner chiming in here. I bought brand new PS2s, wore them out, and then switched to band new V12s (identical sizes). PS2s are notably "beefier"... much more curb protection, which makes them look a bit wider. PS2s are smoother and quieter and grippier. V12s are a good all around street tire, especially for the price, but they are a step down from the PS2.

I think you're mistaken. C&D did pretty comprehensive testing on the V12s vs. the PS2s and found that they're statistically identical in all qualities. I believe the V12 was actually quieter by one decibel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Specs for 275-35-18
Outside Diameter: Hankook 25.6 Michelin PS2 25.55
Section width on 9.5 rim Hankook 10.9 Michelin PS2 10.9
Revs per mile: Hankook 813 Michelin PS2 814

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for everyones feedback. I got these installed on Saturday. Happy with them so far. I did not enjoy the Contis that came with my BBS. I'll try and post up impressions as they wear.

Sizes are:

19x8.50F fitted with 255/35/19
19x10.0R fitted with 275/30/19

Attachments

Reactions: VacMan

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good looking tires, John!

I just picked up a set of these to replace the T1Rs that came on the wheels I bought from you. Should be delivered today & installed this week. I went with 285/30 and 245/35 sizing though.

Steve, can you recommend alignment settings? While my alignment is all out of whack as-is, I did notice significant camber wear on the tire that just blew. I need to do more research on this this week but this thread is quite timely if you have anything offhand to add.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have 255/35/19 fronts and 285/30/19 rear V12s over Ground Controls with no issue. My fronts are running a monster spacer though. About 8k miles on these tires and they are holding up well, so far I'm very happy with them.

One thing to watch out for... not sure how cold it gets where you live, but I would use caution pushing these things under 50 degrees. I came off a freeway offramp last week on a particularly cold morning and the tires felt very hard when I got into a corner and the car was under-steering a lot more than normal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts