BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Supersprint race exhaust system. Sounds great. Thanks to those who provided detailed analysis on the various systems available.

What to do with the stock exhaust? Keep it? Toss it? Sell it (if possible)?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

MB

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Keep it. You can read several reports here from people that grew very tired of their loud exhausts and reinstalled their OEMs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bernhtp said:
Keep it. You can read several reports here from people that grew very tired of their loud exhausts and reinstalled their OEMs.
Good point. Though I can't imagine going back to stock. I suppose it could be a possibility.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
mbalourdos said:
Just installed Supersprint race exhaust system. Sounds great. Thanks to those who provided detailed analysis on the various systems available.

What to do with the stock exhaust? Keep it? Toss it? Sell it (if possible)?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

MB
Could you give us your impression of the exhaust? How different is it from stock, interior noise, etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6speed said:
Could you give us your impression of the exhaust? How different is it from stock, interior noise, etc...

Thanks
Sure. Certainly more "rumble" than stock. Especially at idle. Virtually gone is the diesel like rattling noise. Inside the cabin, there is a bit of reverberation, particularly in the low RPMs. You immediately realize the fact that it's there. It may take some time getting used to. I would not want it any louder. In the higher range of RPMs (>5K), the sound of the engine seems to take over, which is great in itself.

MRichmond's analysis some time ago was right on. Thanks to him for my purchase.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
6speed said:

Thanks
The biggest difference I have noticed with my SS setup is the sound at WOT.

SuperSprint is not much louder at idle, and the crusing interior noise difference vs. stock is also negligible... but get on the throttle.... oh yeah!
:wroom:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Keep the stock parts. Having any aftermarket parts on the car if you trade in will substantially hurt the value.

·
Registered
917 Posts
6speed said:

Thanks
Grrr.. Grrrrrrrrhhh, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh..

Oh you didn't mean that sort of impression? :hihihi:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
mbalourdos said:
Sure. Certainly more "rumble" than stock. Especially at idle. Virtually gone is the diesel like rattling noise. Inside the cabin, there is a bit of reverberation, particularly in the low RPMs. You immediately realize the fact that it's there. It may take some time getting used to. I would not want it any louder. In the higher range of RPMs (>5K), the sound of the engine seems to take over, which is great in itself.

MRichmond's analysis some time ago was right on. Thanks to him for my purchase.
Very glad I could help and enjoy your purchase.

As others have said, I suggest you keep the stock parts. I, too, doubt that you ever will choose to replace the stock mufflers, but if you decide to sell the car, it would be helpful to be able to offer the new buyer the original parts. Mine are sitting in the corner of the garage. Each time I see them, I am reminded how much more compact the Supersprint mufflers are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MRichmond said:
Very glad I could help and enjoy your purchase.

As others have said, I suggest you keep the stock parts. I, too, doubt that you ever will choose to replace the stock mufflers, but if you decide to sell the car, it would be helpful to be able to offer the new buyer the original parts. Mine are sitting in the corner of the garage. Each time I see them, I am reminded how much more compact the Supersprint mufflers are.
Thanks again for the analysis. My wife, on the other hand, does not. A bit too loud for her. Oh well.

Agreed. Seems as though the consenus is to keep the stock mufflers for purposes of resale value. More so than the "compactness" of the SS, I am shocked as to the weight differential. The stock mufflers seem at least twice as heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts