BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo

I have read multiple threads regarding handbrake handle removal but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Some say to remove the top of the handle while others say to remove the whole handle and even the mechanism itself.

Take a look at my handle:

Do I:

1)Remove just the top part that is worn and replace it
2)Remove the whole handle and replace it
3)Remove the whole mechanism and replace it with a new one with the handle included

Thanks for your help

Vin

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would suggest grabbing the whole handle firmly and twisting side to side until it comes off, then replace with a design you like. You might need to use a large pair of pliers for this. It's easy to lift up the leather boot and secure the new handle, then pull the leather back over it. The posts here will tell you exactly how.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yo

I have read multiple threads regarding handbrake handle removal but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Some say to remove the top of the handle while others say to remove the whole handle and even the mechanism itself.

Take a look at my handle:

Do I:

1)Remove just the top part that is worn and replace it
2)Remove the whole handle and replace it
3)Remove the whole mechanism and replace it with a new one with the handle included

Thanks for your help

Vin
not sure how to do on the e39 but i recently replaced mine on my e60 and let me tell you it was PITA..first u got to remove the cover thats is held by four tabs on the four corners...i used a flat painter's knife to get to it..once u remove the first u work your way around to the other three ...after that just PULL gently the handbrake cover and it will come out...
The releasing the tabs part is really a PITA man i almost gave up on doing it...just be careful and use a lot of patience on this one..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll try grabbing the whole handle and giving it a yank. If I mess anything up I can always replace the whole mechanism.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts