BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be some confusion about the E34 being a hand built car, can anyone clarify please?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Apache said:
There seems to be some confusion about the E34 being a hand built car, can anyone clarify please?
As per the E34 M5 FAQ article:
This one is easy. All of the E34 M5's were hand assembled by teams of technicians at the BMW Motorsport facility in Garching, just outside of Munich. This facility has never been available for public tours, and now M5's (E39) are mass produced on normal assembly lines along with other garden variety BMW models. This is one of the things which make E28 and E34 M5's unique - the fact that they were virtually hand assembled. And the E34's were last of the breed.

And from this article:
Both E28 M5 and the E34 M5 and where hand assembled.

* The E28 M5 was assembled at the Preussenstrasse in Munich and used the bodies of the E28 production line.
* The E34 M5 was hand assembled at M GMBH in Garching. The bodies came from the BMW plant in Dingolfing.
* The E30 M3 was assembled on the 3 series production line and is not hand assembled.

Follow-up:

The M5 of the second generation 5-series was based on the BMW 535i. The 535i bodyshell arrive more or less complete, having been taken from the normal 5 series production line. Most of the other mechanical components arrive at Motorsport as subassemblies. The major mechanical assembly is handled by just one technician or -if they prefer- as a team. The 72 technicians at Motorsport are highly trained, highly qualified and highly skilled. Each car takes about a week to complete, and before its released its subjected to many quality tests, which takes four to five hours, including a test drive. The test is so thorough that the inspector reckon, with a bit of practice, who has assemled each particular car!

For more on the E34 M5 see: www.bmwm5.com/34text.htm

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Apache said:
Yes they were handbuilt. Hollis' answer is very complete. Some E34 M5 owners actually have found documentation in the car signed by the constructor.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
176 Posts
vadas1 said:
Yes they were handbuilt. Hollis' answer is very complete. Some E34 M5 owners actually have found documentation in the car signed by the constructor.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
On that note, you can actually look on the insides of the front fascia and it will have a signature of who put it there. Don't remember exactly where it is (I think it's on the backside of the bumper), but it's there.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Hollis said:
On that note, you can actually look on the insides of the front fascia and it will have a signature of who put it there. Don't remember exactly where it is (I think it's on the backside of the bumper), but it's there.
-
-
[email protected] congrates if it is on your car, it is not on mine, you will find
-signatures- all over the car if you start to 'strip' it, these -signatures- are
from the different assembly teams -marking out- THERE parts not to be touched by any of the other teams -
some cars have what looks like a signature in combination with the actual
build-date of that particular car and something which looks like 'ok',
as said, if -your- car has that, congratulations, then it is one of very few - :byebye:

·
Registered
191 Posts
On a similar note, if you order new floating front discs, they also come with the signature of the technician who milled them ;)

Cool!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I did find a signature on the inside of the front bumper of my '89, somewhat dirty so I could not tell exactly what it said, but some kind of name and maybe they year, written with a black pen.
Any other places that you might find a signature??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts