3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello? Black M5? Where are you? :dunno:

· Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MMMMMax said:
Over-done and way too tricked up
The first two sentences of the article sums it all up.

"For many, the M5's subtle appearance is just fine, allowing the occasional exploration of the 500-bhp V10 motor's talents without attracting unwanted attention. But for those who think BMW's fastest saloon is too stealthy, they could always send theirs to Hamann Motorsport for the equivalent of a big dose of steroids."

There are some that say the governor of California is over-done and way too tricked up, also. :eek7:

Bottom line, to each its own. :M5thumbs:

· Registered
14,478 Posts
Same car is featured in the current issue of BMWCar magazine.

Hideous creation IMHO :(

· Registered
289 Posts
JoeClothing said:
Hideous.....looks like the batmobile. Love the wheels though.
I agree re: the wheels. They are the best looking E60 M5 wheels IMHO.

I have been trying to find a source for these domestically but have been unsuccessful. There is a fellow in Europe that has been helpful but it is so much easier to do business domestically.

· Registered
5,155 Posts
canysmc said:
Hello? Black M5? Where are you? :dunno:
Black M5 is right here and thinks that black M5 is abit too much.. what do u guys think ?

· Moderator Emeritus
2,817 Posts
Fart said:
Interesting commets about the 20-21" wheels and their effect on performance.

one could say that the people putting larger wheels on the M5 are de-tuning the car.
This was the most noteworthy part of the article -- The 20" or 21" wheels create a 14 mph reduction in top speed and an unspecified decrease in acceleration that requires a 20-hp bump just to match stock performance? That is a big hit.

Some may remember a video Gustav posted a while ago comparing a stock M5 with one equipped with Hartge's 21" wheels. That video showed that the Hartge car fell back at high speeds. Most of us attributed the difference to either the significantly higher weight of the Hartge wheels or to normal variations between stock engines, or both. But this article suggests that the performance decrease will come about just by virtue of larger wheels. I would be interested in comments by our engineers-in-residence. Intuitively, it seems to me that if a 20" wheel is no heavier than stock and has rubber no wider than stock, there should not be a noticeable peformance penalty.

· Registered
1,176 Posts
It would depend on the distribution of the mass from the centre of the rim.

· Moderator Emeritus
2,817 Posts
It also is amusing that Dinan bought a 1/2-page ad on the last page of the Hamann article. Not a coincidence, I am sure.

· Registered
239 Posts
Not of fan of that WB kit. It looks as though the WB was made for someother car and just thrown on to the car.

I like the plenum and the interior, although I might put a little less red in some places (steering wheel)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.