BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided to change my exhaust system. I guess the car is too quiet for my taste. I've just ordered Hamann DTM tips for my M5 which should be arriving next Friday. I'm still considering putting in a Dinan chip as well. Hmmm...tough decisions. Motor Works West is charging me $2150 for the exhausts installed, and $450 for the Dinan chip.

I wish I could do the dyno tests of before and after..but The tuning shop I'm going to doesn't have dynojets.

Has anyone else installed Hamann Exhausts? How much did you pay for it? How do they sound? Any power improvements?

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
hey Kelvin,
I haven't actually got hamann exhausts for the M5, but I've a friend who has hamann DTM exhausts for his M Roadster and they sound awesome. Although they're REALLY loud, the tone is good and is pretty distinctive. I highly recommend it if the M5 exhausts sound as good as the M Roadster ones!

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a whole bunch terence! you've just made me even more excited about my exhausts. I'll post the pictures and sound clip of the exhaust.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should be going down to Motor Works West to fit my exhaust next Thursday. Frank Scordo (Imola Red M5) will be meeting me there. Anyone else interested in coming along?

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
My impression of Hamann is that they are not as good as their price suggest.

Here is a small review of one of the M5 E39 owners that changed his system to Kelleners Exhaiusts;

Exhaust

The kelleners exhaust system is made of stainless steel. The system consist of the rear silencers. The diameter for the four pipes is increased to 76mm. It looks powerful! But the look is nothing compared to the sound!! With the Kelleners exhaust you get the real V8 sound. It doesn´t sound to loud inside but just right. Outside the car the sound is just fantastic. It is very powerful, strong V8 sound. I can almost garantee that if a M5 owner hear the sound he just want one! You just can not compare it to standard M5 exhaust. The standard exhaust simply sounds more like a vacuum-cleaner compared to Kelleners. People will not only see your M5 car- they will hear it coming!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
153 Posts
So how would you compare the Hamann muffler sound ( super sprint ) to the Kelleners?
Originally posted by Gustav:
My impression of Hamann is that they are not as good as their price suggest.

Here is a small review of one of the M5 E39 owners that changed his system to Kelleners Exhaiusts;

Exhaust

The kelleners exhaust system is made of stainless steel. The system consist of the rear silencers. The diameter for the four pipes is increased to 76mm. It looks powerful! But the look is nothing compared to the sound!! With the Kelleners exhaust you get the real V8 sound. It doesn´t sound to loud inside but just right. Outside the car the sound is just fantastic. It is very powerful, strong V8 sound. I can almost garantee that if a M5 owner hear the sound he just want one! You just can not compare it to standard M5 exhaust. The standard exhaust simply sounds more like a vacuum-cleaner compared to Kelleners. People will not only see your M5 car- they will hear it coming!

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is the cost difference, going with the Supersprint exhaust vs. Hamann? If Supersprint is making the exhaust, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy directly through Supersprint or BMP?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well try calling the number I have included and see what is the best you can get. What they gave me was about 1117 DM per muffler, exchange rate is around 2.03 DM to USD.
Better yet, if you find a distributor in the US, you might find it even cheaper.

Good luck
tel. 0049 2327 98670 fax 0049 2327 87511

Originally posted by Hans:
What is the cost difference, going with the Supersprint exhaust vs. Hamann? If Supersprint is making the exhaust, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy directly through Supersprint or BMP?

·
Registered
257 Posts
My understanding is that Super Sprint designed their exhaust for a "German tuner."

The super sprint exhaust is availble in the US from places like Turner motorsport (check their internet site)...

The cost is approximately $1200 for the pair. If this is the same exhaust as Hamann, maybe I could offer to engrave the Hamann name for less than their $800 markup?

Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Funny thing is that the superspring exhaust as listed on turnermotorsport page says it's a 90mm system, whereas on the hamann website, they say the M5 system is a 76mm system.... so does that mean supersprint makes 2 versions of the exhaust for the M5 or is it a misprint on either one of those websites?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts