BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a set of winter wheels/tires. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Hamann wheels in general. I'm not sure, but I think that these wheels are cast. Should I be looking at forged?

Any thoughts appreciated. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have PG-2's so I'm partial to Hamanns. IMO they're the best looking 5-spoke wheel out there. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thats a hell of a nice and expensive "winter wheel", not used to seeing upgrades used to be beat up on.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Always liked the look of Hamann Wheels and never really heard any bad reports on them, i'm sure that these will be a quality wheel being from a most reputable name in the aftermarket/tuning game. ;)

Why not go for something a little cheaper like some used OEM e39 17'' or 18'' Sport Rims for winter, as Jayson commented they will probably end up a little worse for wear in the bad weather and all. ??????

Good Luck.

C.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually getting the wheels slightly used (I'm told 2 months old and in like new condition) on ebay for a hell of a deal. It's going to end up being about $2200 including shipping for the 18" PG2 wheels with tires that have ~2000 miles on them.

I question the wheels only because I've heard of a Hamann wheel cracking once before, but I suppose it could have been a fluke. I would expect a good product to come out of Hamann, but I've also heard that forged is better than cast and I believe that these are cast.

At that price, if I got a pair of crappy wheels and put tires on, it would be the same price if not more. I'm also not really sure that I need a pair of winter tires. I'm not planning on driving the car in the snow unless it's an emergency and I'm not sure that having to deal with slightly reduced traction is worth $2000. But then again, can I pass up a deal like this?

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
davem3smg said:
I'm actually getting the wheels slightly used (I'm told 2 months old and in like new condition) on ebay for a hell of a deal. It's going to end up being about $2200 including shipping for the 18" PG2 wheels with tires that have ~2000 miles on them.

I question the wheels only because I've heard of a Hamann wheel cracking once before, but I suppose it could have been a fluke. I would expect a good product to come out of Hamann, but I've also heard that forged is better than cast and I believe that these are cast.

At that price, if I got a pair of crappy wheels and put tires on, it would be the same price if not more. I'm also not really sure that I need a pair of winter tires. I'm not planning on driving the car in the snow unless it's an emergency and I'm not sure that having to deal with slightly reduced traction is worth $2000. But then again, can I pass up a deal like this?

What would you guys do?
Well I had a set of winter wheels and tires for sale but ended up returning them to the retailer (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59245) but I decided to just invest in a winter beater car or SUV for now. I actually plan on getting something in which I can use in any bad weather such as rain snow. I really liked the idea of getting the winter setdidn't want to always every winter swap on new wheels just for winter and also still have to deal with other sloppy drivers that can slide into you or something stupid. So I plan on not driving the M at all in the winter and pick up a all wheel car like a 98 Audi A4 or 02 Jeep Liberty or something like that. The Hammans do sound like a good price just make sure they aren't replicas or something like that.

Trust me you in that emergency case you speak about you will need winter tires. Just on ice alone you will slip and keep slipping. ALso don't get caught on any slight inclines at a stop light. U had a bad experience with all seasons in a 01 540i/6 and ended up leaving my car due to the slipping problem.

My advice don't drive the M use a 4WD or a AWD vehicle whether it is a older car or not. If this is not an option then get the winter setup. If the Hammans are too cosylu check out Tirerack and Wheelechange for some cheaper deals. No point purposely messing up the Hammans just because you are getting a good deal.

Late

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bimmer23 said:
My advice don't drive the M use a 4WD or a AWD vehicle whether it is a older car or not. If this is not an option then get the winter setup.
I think that's what I'm going to do. I will likely just not drive the M when weather isn't going to cooperate. I'm at school currently, so if I absolutely need to get somewhere when there is snow on the ground, I'll have to have my roomate give me a ride and when I'm at home, I have a Chevy Tahoe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts