1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
159 Posts
It seems like our car has been picking up steam in the media lately. Hopefully we can see some decent value appreciation across the board in the next few years.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice article. E46 M3 prices are through the roof, according to Hagerty.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
E46 has been hot lately but the last few auctions on BaT hint that the market could
Be finally cooling off a bit.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
The Hagerty data for the M5 shows it basically flat lined for the past 18 months across all condition levels. My car sold on BaT in May 2018 for $34k ($35,700) and then it sold again a couple of weeks ago for $35,500 ($37,275), so I guess that lines up well with the Hagerty data...pretty much flat. It only makes sense that when the masses of articles coming out about the E39 M5 being the investment car of the future/have to have it/etc, at the very least such media attention usually marks an interim top in a market.

In the case of numerous Porsches such as the 1970s Turbo Carreras, that meteoric vertical assent in prices which saw prices quadruple from 2013-2015 and convinced the world it was the thing to own forever more, has resulted in a 30-40% decline since 2015 and still falling prices. Lots of hurt out there for the gotta-have-ems it appears.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
ya once articles start coming out pronouncing a car is on the rise in value - that generally means the ride is probably already over!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Same old story - don't buy something you don't understand. Media coverage on how great our cars are is very gratifying for us as owners. But shouldn't drive non-enthusiasts to purchase as investments.

One other benefit - rising Hagerty values allowed me to increase my agreed-to value policy numbers. How can they say know, when they are publishing the numbers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts