BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this E60 is a radical step forward for BMW, I am sure early adopters will experience the inevitable barrage of problems, some small (sweaking windows)and others not so small (brake failure). It appears that the current production of M5s has been delayed in order to some of the address issues that may have occurred already as reported by users and testers.

For those of you who have already taken delivery of your M5s, the rest of us would really appreciate if you would provide us with examples and explanations of instances where you had to take your M5 back to the dealer to address specific bugs/problems in your car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine has been back 3 times.

1. SMG fault - not engaging gears properly in both D and S mode, usually 1-2 gear.

2 Dealer overfilled oil while topping up

3. Back for Transmission Fault and Engine Fault messages

Car is due to go in again later this week for CIP 19.0, which is related to the fault codes diags gave about fault 3 above.

Radio/Stereo also has a strange issue where rear speakers phase in and out from time to time.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Augh! You make me want to cancel my order or pass my order to someone else! I am wondering if the benefits of being an early adopter outweighs the headaches of bringing back the car three/four times in a matter of months. I wish BMW had a Lexus type program where someone comes to pick up your car. Then again, I'm not sure if I want some mechanic taking my M5 out for a spin around the countryside. Thanks for your post.

m5-black said:

1. SMG fault - not engaging gears properly in both D and S mode, usually 1-2 gear.

Car is due to go in again later this week for CIP 19.0, which is related to the fault codes diags gave about fault 3 above.

Radio/Stereo also has a strange issue where rear speakers phase in and out from time to time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I not really going to worry, my 911 was back several times when it was brand new, my Range Rover has been back quite a few times.

I expect it with any new release car.

But no matter how wonderful Lexus service may be - I don't want a big Toyota with all the excitement of a glass of water :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has everything been addressed to your satisfaction?

I remember when I bought the new 3 series. The interior rattled and creaked like crazy, but there was nothing they could do. They changed the window gaskets, tightened all the nuts and bolts, greased and regreased all the joints, but nothing could fix the problem. These are the worst kinds of problems, the nagging ones that simply don't go away!

m5-black said:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dealer has been great, everything so far except the odd stereo problem has been indentified and a fix applied or scheduled for application (CIP release 19.0)

·
Registered
240 Posts
So far i sent my car twice. 1- little problem wit the rear diffuser and 2- tire pressure gave a false alarm sayin i got a flat tire although i didnt at all. i may be lucky to have the car almost perfect
:) .

·
Registered
146 Posts
m5-black said:
Is there a way to check if the software upgrade has been performed on the car? I asked the dealer to check if there are any upgrades when I took the car in for an oil change and they claim they performed the upgrade.

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
AUH M5 said:
Is there a way to check if the software upgrade has been performed on the car? I asked the dealer to check if there are any upgrades when I took the car in for an oil change and they claim they performed the upgrade.

Thanks
How long did they have the car, as my dealer said that CIP 19.0 takes quite a while to install

·
Registered
95 Posts
Apart from a rattly boot floor mine has been faultless up to its current 4,000 miles. No interiior rattles, hums, squeaks at all. I would say this is the best put together BMW I have had so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts