BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay don't make fun of me too much for this, but last fall I had a bunch of new tires for one of my cars stacked on the bedroom floor, which is wood, and when I went to move them a couple of months later, there was a faint ring shaped black stain on the floor.

Any tips for removal of the stain?

Is there something "oily" in a tire that would leave a residue like that?

And finally, does this prove I'm a serious car nut :1: ????

Thanks!
Anita

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Anita,
A few questions if I may...................
Granted, you have to store your extra/spare tires somewhere within the house, BUT...... why the bedroom????? What happened to the junk storage room, garage, attic, etc, etc.... Based on this post you really have to post a PIC of yourself. Come on do it ! Last, do you have blondish color hair?
Robert cherrsagai

PS Regarding your stain, try MURPHY's Soap Oil for wood floors

·
2,492 Posts
Tires are made from organic material. Any material degrades in its own way, dependent on what material it is and what conditions surround it. BTW, im including corrosion, etc when I say "degrading." In this case, your wood floors, which are sealed and coated by some sort of hard lacquer or similar product, have reacted with organics in your tires. And you laquer finish is not completely smooth, it has pores. The size and number of the pores is based upon the product used and the conditions in which it was applied and cured.

Start with Rob's suggestion of a common wood floor cleaner. If that does not work, try a citrus degreaser. If that does not work get "Oil Flo." Anything really beyond those two products might destroy your finish, but it might be destroyed as it is. Refinishing the floors might be necessary.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can't help you with the your stain problem. But i must ask how can you stand sleeping in the same room where you store your tires? I can hardly stand the smell of them when I keep them in my garage. So yes, you are now officially a extreme car nut!.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow Anita, that's pretty darn hardcore! I guess the bedroom is better than the bathroom, or kitchen. I would talk to a contracter who finishes wood and see what their .02 cents is. If a normal cleaner or degreaser doesnt get it off, I second the expensive process of refinishing the wood if it really bothers you. If you use something heavy duty, try it on an area of the wood that isnt normally visible, and try it there.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the explanations and helpful tips--I'll get to work on the stain pronto!

And I do know what you mean about the smell--either I just got used to it or that's explains why I suddenly began buying a lot more perfume last fall :D

See I'm not the only one who keeps tires in the bedroom, so there!

FAST 5 said:
Anita,
A few questions if I may...................
Granted, you have to store your extra/spare tires somewhere within the house, BUT...... why the bedroom?????
These were my sacred track tires--it sorta started as a joke but I just left them there. And the other storage areas are pretty full of car junk. Came home last night to find a box with a newly delivered wheel in it being used as a foot stool in the family room HA HA HA For real though, like 2 board members have been in my house and I don't think they found it too wierd (I hope!!)

FAST 5 said:
Based on this post you really have to post a PIC of yourself. Come on do it ! Last, do you have blondish color hair?
Robert cherrsagai
HA HA HA I was trying to find Oceanside's pic of a gal pal working under his car to post--do you all remember that one??? And yes my hair's the lovely shade of "Phoenix Yellow"--you know over bleached, then in the pool all summer (yellow-green) KIDDING KIDDING

Anita

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Anita,

Tires in the bedroom?! What do you store in the bathroom? :eek: You do realize that you can leave the tires on the car while it is in the garage don't you? Please don't tell us that you use the seats in you living room!

I have to tell you that this was way too easy a set up. If your going to have us "spear" you this way, you have to make it a little more of a challenge.

Now about those tires in the bedroom..... hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MAH said:
I have to tell you that this was way too easy a set up. If your going to have us "spear" you this way, you have to make it a little more of a challenge.
Mark

Oh! So sorry Your Guruness :hihihi:!!!! I'll try to make my next post more of a challenge HA HA HA

But what I really think is you're just jealous because you don't have tires in your bedroom (boy, is it tough trying to be witty this early in the morning--not that I have much success later on either hiha).

Now is that a new cologne you are wearing or just eau de tire? Actually I love to sniff all those car related scents--NO MAKING FUN!!!

Anita

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first thought when I saw the subject was "holy sh!t, this guy's wife must be the most understanding woman in the world!!!", and then I saw it was Anita that posted the message.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M-Fünf said:
First,
Maybe MIB knows how? He does floors, right?
I was thinking that too--he's been back around--maybe he'll see this post!

I know I know what was I thinking keeping them in the bedroom HA HA

Fart said:
:viking: I only store some different kind of rubber in my bedroom
Yeah, I was waiting for comments like this--aren't you the one who likes to blow fuses??? HA HA

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
I don't store tires in the bedroom,I keep them there as "furniture".;)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay Robert, here's your laugh for the night--pics of me--I could only find a few of me outside of a car! These are from last year and I warn you I change like Oprah--so if I ever saw you in real life I might REALLY scare you HAHAHA

Me driving the M3 at a low speed autox in Rockford, IL--you can really see my face--this is the most flattering of my pics :1:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4913

Me and my M5--notice how clean my garage is--that's because I store everything in the house :1:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4914

And finally, me and my M Coupe and the trip home after my kid and I flew to Baltimore to buy it and drive it home. I remember there was this big storm and I ran the car up under the canopy in front of the hotel to protect it from hail as my kid yelled radar updates from the TV out of the hotel window :1:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4915

Now quit laughing and have a nice weekend--you and everyone else out here in M5 board land!

Anita

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Anita said:
Is there something "oily" in a tire that would leave a residue like that?
During preparation for curing, new tires have an oily substance applied to them called a mold release agent. It's the automotive equivalent of Pam spray and it makes it easier to remove the finished tire from the mold after they've been "cooked.". That's why brand new tires feel "greasy" for the first few miles. And that's what stained your floor.

I have no suggestions for fixing the problem. Sorry! But now you at least know the culprit.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
1) Throw a rug over the stain ;)

2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE :15: :15: the smell of tires

3) Anita, you're the fastest babe anyone's likely to meet! :M5launch:

:cheers:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Can't you just put another set of tires over the stain? Heavean forbid if the garage floor gets a stain. Priorities are important. And think of all the $$$ you'll save on not buying perfume.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts