BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my system installed and after they buttoned everything back up they went to test the system and they couldn't get the radio to turn on. They thought I needed to enter a radio code but I don't think that is the problem.

When I turn the car on the Nav display shows all the normal menu items but won't go to the radio or CD player. I can't figure out what I need to do, has this happened to anyone?

If anybody has any suggestions please help!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also not getting the date and time to display.

madyspop said:
I had my system installed and after they buttoned everything back up they went to test the system and they couldn't get the radio to turn on. They thought I needed to enter a radio code but I don't think that is the problem.

When I turn the car on the Nav display shows all the normal menu items but won't go to the radio or CD player. I can't figure out what I need to do, has this happened to anyone?

If anybody has any suggestions please help!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
madyspop said:
I'm also not getting the date and time to display.

I would think they left out your radio plug but what your describing may be in the radio, it may need to be iniatialized i would call the dealer, ask if theyre is a procedure to start all the functions???? worth a shot i suppose. good luck

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There is no code. The system bus is supposed to recognize new equipment if the power is disconnected and then reconnected (I think for a few minutes). If it doesn't, then maybe something's miswired or not plugged in. Try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. If that doesn't work, have the installer re-check the wiring installation. Apart from that, I'm out of ideas. :confused3

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried disconnecting the battery and it didn't fix the problem, I'll check all the connections tomorrow.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by "had my system installed". Is this an upgrade or all new non-BMW, or what. I just did the upgrade to Sirius radio.... new radio, NAV MKIV, Sirius tuner, etc... install was a snap, everything works, best of all NAV boots up immediately, no warning screen. I also notice that the time is always displayed at start up (in gauge cluster) with out pressing the stalk button. Way cool....

Best of luck getting yours work right!!!! :M5launch:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had rear deck, front door speakers, a sub, and 2 amps added to the car. They tapped into the DSP amp wiring at the rear of the car to catch a signal. I am not sure which pin they used but I can find out. The amps power up but I can't get any radio or cd functions at all. Do you think they tapped the wrong wiring in the rear? I can be reached at 309-251-9096 if you have any ideas to troubleshoot this.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Himmmmm, I have a lot of info. that I searched out as I was thinking what to do for my upgrade. I will have to go through the pile, there was some stuff on tapping the dsp. That is probably the place to start. It may take a day or two to get back on this.

Hopefuly you get this fixed sooner than later. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I suspect you're just trying to help out your friendly installer, but you said you had it "installed" - I beg to differ. if it doesn't work, the job isn't done. I used to install car stereos for a living (MANY years ago, when I was in college.) If the system didn't work, we certainly didn't throw up our hands and hand it back to the customer! So I hope that guy is busting his butt trying to solve this for you, the paying customer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they are working to try and get it sorted out for me. They had other scheduled appointents that they are currently working on so I have to wait until they wrap those up. They did run it out to the dealership today to see if they coulod shed some light and the tech said it must be a fuse because the little red light on the radio isn't lighting up. They are supposed to be checking that later this afternoon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts